Sign in to follow this  
Panerai

Need a plotter, and advice.

Hey everyone, First post on the board, Im a Sign and vinyl noobie.

Here is my story.

I own www.autovertising.ca and www.bareessentialmaids.com (NSFW) After months of contracting my "wrapping" out to other businesses for $500-$2500 I decided to take the next step and buy a few peices of equipment to supplement my income. First thing I bought was a Roll of Carbon Fiber Di-noc. Within 3 days, I had wrapped about 10 Car hoods and sold the rest in 5-10ft strips (locally) So I am keeping to that. However I want to start doing vinyl signs locally, as there is noone that does it around me.

I just bought this http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-54-Vinyl-Cutter-Plotter-WinPCSIGN-Basic-USB-Conn-/270594488681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3f00b03969

However I have yet to set it up, It all seems convuluted to me, I am looking to buy a smaller and easier to use one as well, however my budget is around $600 shipped to me.

What do you think I should get? I would mainly be doing wall art, small car decals, and decals for various Auto garages in my area. I wouldnt mind having the option to do Tshirts in the future as well as maybe Tint for cars....

Feedback, and please dont flame.

Thanks everyone

Joe

I think the word convoluted has too many interpretations when applied to the problems you've experienced to successfully cutting with what you have. I think with the new budget you've expressed, you're limitations will probably find you where you currently are, if the problems lay in inexperience rather than machine shortcomings; but with even less $. Enlighten me, what does convoluted with regard to your cutter mean to you?

Problems right now lay in inexperience, I dont know how to use the programs, use the plotter ect. I am a very quick learner. VERY quick... Just how quick? well, I bought a keyboard about a year ago, within 2 weeks I could play Beethoven, Moonlight Sonata, and "Hes a pirate, from the pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack, I started my pilots license on June 22nd 2010.... On July 10th, I was doing my first solo... this is from knowing NOTHING about flying... So once I start learning, my curve is exponential. 

I wouldnt mind spending the money on a good one.... but I figure, since I am learning, why learn on something that would cost $2000+. When I can learn on something that is $850. Once I learn, I will be buying another plotter, which is why I am asking for advice for another plotter... I figure in 2-3 weeks, I will be well on my way. That being said.... I want something that is large enough that I can contend with almost anything that is brought to me.... So would a 24-34'' plotter be able to do MOST of the work in todays vinyl decals, signs ect. New Budget is $1500-$2000... I would like something that is a step up from the Chinese Plotter I bought. But cheaper is better, as if the business doesnt take off, Id like to not be in the hole, with a bunch of equipment that I cant get back anything even close to what I paid for.

Get a Graphtec CE5000-60. It's highly recommended from most who have it. I'm hoping to have enough pennies for one by the end of the month, maybe sooner. If you don't want to invest that much, the CE5000-40 is the same machine, just 15" instead of 24". By the way, UScutter has the best price on the CE5000-60; $1595, free shipping and a bunch of extras. If I can get enough for it, they're who I'll be getting it from.

Just a random fact, but I found out the -40, -60 and -120 in the CE5000 series model numbers refers to the cutting size in cm. I was always a bit curious. :rolleyes:

Honestly though, based on your budget, if you get the CE5000-60, you'll be in cutter heaven. You'll also be able to expand later on to things like contour cut decals and t shirt transfers. It's a great cutter.

i purchased that cutter not long ago, took it back, was horrible to set up and never did cut right, maybe i just got a lemon

sue

Hi all,

I just got the FC 8000 Graphtec about 1 1/2 weeks ago..From unbox to the first cut took less tha 20 minutes..The stand took longer to put together than set up and cutting on it..

I spoke to the clearance deptartment at Sign Warehouse before buying my cutter and they had a 24" Graphtec demo with all the warrentee and all for $999.00..It had the ARMS and everthing, just no stand....I always like to talk to someone other than trusting their web site...Might be worth looking into??

So far love my Graphtec!!

stetson5331

Congrats! I have the 24" FC8000 in my sights.

I have had my FC7000MK-75  for going on 3 years now, purchased new.  wonderful machine,  and  never a problem. I love it. 

What would sway you to a Graphtec versus a Zencut Black?

So far, it's been word of mouth. I've checked out the zencut black (GCC jaguar IV) too; both seem like great cutters, but that's about a year away. I'd probably be happy with either.

Congrats! I have the 24" FC8000 in my sights.

I took the plunge and bought all 54" equipment..The Mutoh 54" VJ 1304, a cold press laminator also 54" and the cutter as well....I talked to the dealer and got it on the year end deal...10 k less than any competitor...and I get to take the whole thing off my year end taxes.WHAT a deal..My accountant told me to buy something or give about that same amount to Uncle Sam..

I like it so far now just have to start making money with it soon!!

Good luck on you getting your cutter sooner rather than later...If you need anything printed just hollar...

stetson5331

What would sway you to a Graphtec versus a Zencut Black?

Roxanne

I bought the best cutter to start with, I have heard and read nothing but good things about the Graphtec and it was part of my package deal..I feel at the moment I did the right thing and hope I can come back in a year or three and say the same thing...Thats why I bought the Graphtec hope that helps explain my buying one...  :huh: 

stetson5331