badun

Durability of heat transfer vinyl compared to screen printing?

I'm a newb and one of the things I may do with my new cutter is vinyl heat transfers for some of my softball team's apparel.  We have great difficulty in getting good service and reasonable prices from local suppliers so it's tempting to try and do the uniform printing using vinyl as well.  However, I don't know how durable vinyl is compared to screen printing.  Uniforms have to stand up to high heat, sweat, clay, and grass.  They don't get washed too often over the course of a season, though (it's travel ball so each uniform is worn one day of a 2-day tournament and then washed and put away until the next tournament).  Does anyone have real world experience with vinyl and screened designs that can offer an opinion?  Dealing with the uniform vendors is a total pita, but it pales in comparison to parents complaining about the printed designs they paid good money for not holding up for an entire season!

I have some shirts that I'm 99% sure are vinyl graphics (since the guy who made them also does vinyl decals) and the graphics have been very durable through multiple washes and plenty of hard days of skating.

EVERY manufacturer says the shirt is the leak link , that their product ( heat transfer vinyl , silk screen ink etc ) will outlast the shirt ... How the application goes determines the longevity IMO . Mess up on the heat setting , pressure or timing & heat transfers don't last ... same with the screen printing process , though it seems not as critical .