Sign in to follow this  
LeviTheDog

Before I hit the checkout button....

I'm a bit confused on a few things. 

1.  Printer Stand with Refine GoldCut Vinyl Cutters.

• USCutter 24" GC-series Vinyl Cutter Without Stand
  • USCutter 24" GC-series Vinyl Cutter with Stand (+$40.00)
  • USCutter 34" GC-series Vinyl Cutter (+$70.00)

After reading this and other forums for over the past several days, I think I'm settled on picking up the Refine GoldCut machine.  Does the 34" come with the stand?  If not, is a stand available for it?

The way I understand it,  $30 gets you an extra 10 inches.  That's a better deal than those emails I keep getting  ;D

2.  Vinyl for vehicle graphics.

Everything suggests that Oracal 751 is the way to go.  Yet, the Vehicle Graphics Starter Kit comes with Oracal 651.  If the Intermediate Calendared Vinyl is acceptable for use.. would the GreenStar version be just as good?  Or, if layering, would it be best to use a base of 751 and the less expensive 651 or GreenStar on top?

3.  Vinyl for vehicle graphics part 2.

More of an opinion on taste about white vinyl on a black truck. Does the matte finish look better?  I'm thinking glossy white would look a little gaudy against the black paint.

4. Software

• SignBlazer Elements (Permanent Trial)
  • SignCut Productivity Pro (1-year license)
  • Flexi Starter 8.6 for WIN with dongle [+$60.00]

I've downloaded SBE and frankly don't like what I've seen so far.  The way I understand from reading posts here.. you just have to live with the nag screens? No longer supported?  No future updates?  Is the version that comes with the cutters any better than what can be found online?  Is SignCut a better option? or Is it worth just forking out the $60 for Flexi Starter?  Is there a better option I'm overlooking?

5. Splash Application Fluid

I've installed pre-cut vinyl a few times in the past.  I just used plain old water in a spray bottle for wet application of vinyl with good results.  What's so special about Splash?  Is it worth getting?  Is it nothing more than concentrated water?

Here's the deal:

I'm going into business for myself in a few months.  (Garage door and Opener Co.) For starters, I'll have 3 service trucks on the road.  After getting a few quotes to sign the trucks.. I've decided to just buy the equipment and do it myself.  A side benefit will be the ability to put my logo on tee's, hats, etc. as needed.  I'll also be able to do my own shop signage and work up a few promotional items. (Impressed with that etched glass work I've seen on here!) 

Money is tight, and every spare dime is going toward building up inventory and the never ending list of other expenses associated with starting up a business.  After looking at the options, I believe I can get more bang for my bucks by doing my own sign work.

In the early 90's, I owned and operated a screenprinting shop, doing most of my artwork in CoralDraw.  Since that time I've done several freelance artwork jobs for websites and a variety of print mediums.  Me and vectors get along just fine. 

Sorry for the many questions and the very long post.  I don't mind paying for what I need.. just don't want to spend more than necessary right now.

1. afaik, the stand is standard with all cutters except teh 24", where its optional.

2. my opinion only, 751 for "permanent" body decals. for small window decals, 651. layering: 751 on top of 751, 651 on top of 651.

3. vhicle paint should be glossy. vinly is supposed to look like paint. again, just imo. it will prob get glossy when waxed anyway.

4. the nag screens, for the most part, can be eliminated. whenever i start it, i still get asked what mode i want to open it in, i pick trial, and it asks if im sure. all of the other screens are gone.  i use sb. i assume the "1 yr licence" is from install, so ive been thinking of trying signcut someday, but never got to it. if i found it to be better than sb, id have no problem buying it at the end of the trial.

5. theres a recipe on the forum here somewhere for app fluid. nothing more than water with a little soap and alchaol.

i got started under similar circumstances. family was opening a deli. we were still working on the building, and the guy that he had that did his signs was going out of business. he was upset as he wasnt sure what he wanted to name it yet, but had to have it done within the next 2 weeks. i asked him what he was paying. $2500. i said i was SURE i could BUY THE EQUIPMENT and still be well under that!! got the mh 87something and have been using it since.

if you want to save money, just stick with sb, its free, and find that app fluid recipe. ive heard  lots of ppl having problems w/ mh series cutters, but mines been fine for over a year now. i dont regret the purchase. if i had to do it again knowing what i know now, i might get a better cutter, only knowing that i do have other work for it, but again, i dont regret the choice i made. one area you dont want to skimp on is the vinyl and app tape.

Thanks for the reply.

Guess I'll just bite the bullet and spring for the more pricey vinyls.. maybe get the cheaper stuff to experiment with. Still unsure about gloss v/s matte.  Probably best to just get some of each and go from there. 

Found the app fluid recipe. Guess I should have searched a litter harder before asking.

Also found some info on using Inkscape in Linux as a possible cutting solution?  I have an extra computer laying around so I might give that setup a try too.

Thanks again for the info.  Looks like I have a little more reading up to do on the quality differences of application tape.  Just have some of the cheap stuff in the shopping cart right now...

One thing I have never tried to save money on is application tape. The cheap stuff isn't worth the savings.

One thing..buy at least 10 yards of cheap vinyl to practice on. The Greenstar is cheap in cost but actually quite good for basic sign work,such as banners and coroplast.

I regret buying cheap vinyl to play with.......Now that I have made it to Oracal 651/631 I will not look back......

so you are suggesting he 'practice' with the good stuff?

Yes.....When you use cheap material you do not worry much and you are not as confident in what you are doing...Even if you blow through 10 or 15 yards you are still not talking about much of a difference in cost.....

I think it is far more wasteful to use cheap stuff because it is harder to work with than the good stuff.....And as a result it takes far more material to get it right....I think it is a good habit to use the best materials from the get go....But too each its own...

id agree with roxy.

in all reality, its not that much more. how much "practice" do you need? iirc, the greenstar is like $15 for a 24"x10yd, and the 651 is around $22.  imo, $7 isint that much of a deal, and when you go through half the roll practicing and then realize you have it down, if you buy the better vinyl, then you have half a roll to sell without worries.

i started on a few rolls of bgs myself. i regret not baying a few $$ more right from the get go. you may get "practice" using the cutter, in as far as setting it up and running a program, but the cheaper shit does not cut the same, does not weed the same, and does not apply the same as the oracal, so your not getting practice with the entire process.

all of this is just my opinion, but its an opinion garnered from actually doing it. (not that im saying you dont do it, john) but ive btdt. getting the "cheap stuff" to play is fine, but get the "good cheap stuff"

One thing I have never tried to save money on is application tape. The cheap stuff isn't worth the savings.

and yes, ive also tried to get away cheap with the app tape. and i agree, same as the vinyl, not worth the few $$ in savings. i still have over half a roll of it. i use it for everything i can think of just to try to get rid of it, but it lasts FOREVER!!!

but, otoh, i can give you a list of 1001 other use for app tape now, lol.