Sign in to follow this  
xJoey Dubsx

Wrapping curved ABS substrates (ATV for example)

So I am working on making a template for my quad,  so I can make some graphics for them (I have two 2000 Yamaha Warrior 350s)

I found a layout online, traces it, and am in the process of scaling it to fit my quad after tracing it and what not.

Problem I am running into is I am starting from the Gas tank down.

On the gas tank, here's what I originally got.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjAtMjAxMDEwMjgtMjIxNi5qcGc.jpg

Now I have made one a little smaller, better fitting and what not. Only problem is the curves on the bottom under where "3am customs" is.

width=800 height=600http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac328/xjoeydubsx/3am%20customs/utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjgtMjAxMDEwMjktMTYyMi5qcGc.jpg[/img]

What's the best way to go about curves on a quad? I am worried about using heat because I don't want to melt the ABS or warp it. I could always aim away from it, but not sure how that will work..

Any recommendations?

if it was mine, i'd buy the correct material for the job. it's gonna cost a little more money, but will be well worth it in time and headache savings. something like oracal 970RA. it's a wrapping cast. comes in alot of colors and is really gonna help with the curves. you are still gonna need to use some heat, but it is going to conform waaaaaayyyyyy better than you are gonna get from regular old calendered or even standard cast.

The vinyl decals that come on the plastic tanked bikes & quads have many perforations in them to let the gas fumes escape . They still bubble sometimes . Trial & error is the best way to learn what actually will work & last . I would apply the decals during the hottest time of the day with the quad & decals at ambient temperature . Use the best vinyl or replace the decals when they start looking bad . The decals will work great on the other plastic , just the tank is a major problem .  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help...

I'll have to check out other vinyls..

What can you recommend that's cheap to use megacab? And where can I get it from?

My other idea was just to make the design come off with stars or something, so that way it would have gaps where it wouldn't crease.