b_rad

Registration / Alignment marks - Help

So I want to make a two color decal by overlaying a different color vinyl over the top of another color. I am a novice user of Adobe Illustrator CS2 and Signcut. I have figured out how to make the background larger than the fore font/picture. The part I dont know how to do is the registration/alignment marks so I can align them after I cut everything out.  Do you make these in AI or in the signcut? If in AI, how do you do it? I tried making two layers. The first layer I was able to make a circle, then in layer two I tried to make a box, but I could not draw anything, got the big X. 

:bang:

If someone has an example, please send it.

R/b_rad

Guest Terry

I myself never use reg marks, I just lay the first color on then spray it for my next color so it does not stick right away, never had a problem. Not much help if your trying to apply them both on one backing to sell, but simple if your applying them yourself to the car or whatever.

I'm new at this and do not understand what you mean re registration marks.  I watched the video and it was helpful but I did not understand your cut and paste answer.  I want to do the 2 color/layer. I read the instructions on registration marks and they appear to only work if you are printing.

When you want to make a multicolored vinyl image then each color has to be cut separately.

Then each layer or color is applied separately.

To line up all these different colors; registration marks common to all colors are lined up during application.

After the last layer is done then you remove all these rego marks.

Simple!!

Jerry from SignBlazer.

Guest Terry

Thats a nice quick little video. Did you make it?

Thanks for that video...that helps ALOT. 

Jenny  :you rock:

just simply draw two circles  or squares  just above or below the image, one on each side of the image.

I would recommend square as circles will fit no matther in what anglw you have it. With a square there are only 4 waya to fit it and of course you will be able to know when it is right and when it is not.

Joe

Guest Terry

yup I agree, square, triangle or diamond.

I finally got it!!  My first two color, no overlap. I used circles but agree that squares would work better. PS this is a boat name.

post-1718-12986514633622_thumb.jpg

post-1718-12986514664113_thumb.jpg

Iv read alot about spaying it down for two color does it take the glue off ? does it stick the same ive read water,dishsoap and alcohol or is it best to buy solution. thanks great site here.

What about 3 color layering: For example red, yellow, blue

You would have an outer square, then an inner circle, then what??? Another square?

vinylreg.jpg

I would not use circles, remember, anyway you put a circle it will fit and be ok. With circles you will still have the chance to not align well. It is better with 3 squares.

Joe

OK so 3 nested squared would be easy.

This is so weird to deal with when you are used to using

regscopy.jpg

to line things up!