Sign in to follow this  
gr203

Cheapest cutting software with mac..

It's been a year, my free one year trial of Sign Cut that I got with my US cutter MH series is expiring..

It's $80 some dollars per year for like $300 lifetime, which I wouldn't have immediately.. for what they give you, I feel its a little over priced since it's pretty basic.

I'm just asking for some suggestions on other softwear I know of a few but I'm wondering other peoples opinions on what they like..

I know it's going to cost me one way or another, just wanna make sure I check out all my options before commiting..

I run a Macbook OS X 10.5.8 on the US cutter MH series.

Thanks!

SignCut is the best cutting software I have seen , mostly because of the weeding lines you can put anywhere horizontally or vertically . I used inkscape & it when I 1rst got started , but have used SignBlazer since . If SignBlazer works with a Mac, try it .. it is free & even though it is in limbo , it will work for a long time . There is always the rumor of the evolved SignBlazer floating around which I really hope comes true .

Flexi is definitely a full featured cutting and designing tool.......if you want to invest in it as it is not cheap.

I personally have found using Inkscape for design and using SignCut Pro for cutting, to be the perfect combination on my PC. I plan to buy a Mac Mini to use as my dedicated cutting computer down the road and it will be running the same combination.

I appreciate the link! I'm consdering switching over to that.. I believe when I bought my cutter I could have paid $80 to get flexi starter.. which I'm regretting now not getting now, knowing how much signcut is to renew..

Does anyone know if that price for flexistarter is a lifetime cost then? It doesn't seem to say anywhere.. but that's alot cheaper than $300 for a lifetime of signcut.

I am using inkscape then signcut right now, which is working fine since I'm not doing all that detailed of designs, but I'm in a money crunch right now, and can't afford to not have my cutter cutting because this is my busiest time of year.

yes,it is..no time limit. As long as you have the dongle,which comes with it .

Probably a newbi question, but I haven't had to deal with it so i dont know.. what is a dongle?

Also it says it might require an usb adapter for some cutters with a mac.. any clue if i'd need one of those?

right now I'm just running the USB from my us cutter MH series right to my mac and it's always worked fine

Thank you!!

A dongle is basically a USB device, looks like a flash drive, which holds your license information for the software. If the dongle is not plugged in, your software will not properly function. This allows you to install the software on multiple computers and move the license around as needed. Because of this, you will need two USB ports on your Mac available. One for the dongle and one for the cutter.

Thank you for the explaination I really appreciate that, and that makes alot of sense. I think I'll be going with flexi then, decent price compared to sign cut which I haven't been all too impressed with. I appreciate everyones help, thanks again!!