Sign in to follow this  
lonestarcountrymusic

Need some help.

heres the deal. i have 2 images in inkscape  i want to do an exclusion how do i do that i have tried overlaying the images and then clicking exclusion and it wont do it.  im trying to get the top image to be white in the main part of the second image but be black on the outside of the second image.  both have been vectorized.

not quite sure what you are talking about but did you try it in Sign Blazer might be a lot easier there?

maybe if you post the eps and show what you want done?

its not an esp yet and if i do that then it wount matter because it will be 1 image.  i have 2 images.  i want to over lay one image onto the otehr but have the section thats in the middle of image A to be whited out and then the rest of image b that over hangs from image a to be black like the rest of image a is.  in inkscape its call exclusion in the path drop down.  but i cant get it to work.

I just tried it.  first time,  here are my  images.   I took a star from the shapes,  and added a bunch of different rectangles,  Then I selected ALL of the images,  then hit Exclusion  and it turned out like this.  Is that similiar to what you are wanting to do with your images?  Make parts of them white?

post-3093-12986556879501_thumb.jpg

post-3093-1298655688056_thumb.jpg

post-3093-12986556897914_thumb.jpg

post-3093-1298655689876_thumb.jpg

I did not vectorize anything.  I just grabbed the shapes in the toolbar and it worked,    try an experiment and just put some shapes together from the tool bar and see it it works.  maybe vectors don't work.  May have to make them bitmap/etc.

did you ever get it to work at all. with trying some shapes from the toolbar?  Maybe download the lastest version of Inkscape. 

Why dont you click on each object individually and at the bottom of inkscape , right below the color samples, it will tell you which item is not a path and then you can go from there. Keep in mind, if you used the autotrace feature to vectorize your images that you are trying to use, you may not have the vectorized one highlighted, you may still have the bitmap image highlighted by mistake. Just a thought.

I HAD PROBLEMS WITH INKSKAPE NOT DOING A FEW THINGS, MAKING A CIRCLE FOR INSTANCE, I UNINSTALLED IT AND REDOWLOADED IT FROM A DIFFERENT SITE, THEN EVERYTHING WORKED FINE,ooops sorry bout the caps

yep.  it likes to say 1 of the objects is not a path.   remember these are 2 images that have been vectorized.  dont know if that changes anything.

Try un-grouping them. When you vectorize something it makes a group even if it's one object. To check it, pick each thing seperately one by one and see what it is down in the status bar.