meggimann

Wet application issue

Still learning here...I put a 24" decal on a window for a customer using a dry application.  Used a top hinge and squeegeed using 45 degree angled strokes.  I still ended up with quite a few air bubbles.  I've researched wet application on this forum...tons of great info.  I have some older Rapid Tac (3 years old maybe) that came with the used cutter I have.  So, I took the same type of vinyl used for the decal (Arlon CalPlus) I installed on the customer's window and followed the general instructions from the videos (clean substrate, clean again with application fluid, wet the install area, wet the decal, place decal and press out the fluid from the center).  After letting it set for 90 seconds, I attempted to remove the application tape but the vinyl did not adhere.  I attempted this process many times to the same result.  When I pulled the app tape back (thus pulling up the vinyl) the tac on the vinyl seemed unaffected and very sticky but it just would not stick to the glass.  Can application go bad over time? I then tried using a few drops of dish soap to a cup of water (a prescribed recipe I found here) and reattempted the process but got the exact result.  What could I be doing wrong or might I try differently?  Nothing I tried worked even remotely like what I witnessed in the videos. I would like to find a process that will allow me to install window graphics with confidence.

Thanks for any assistance of advice.  Hope I'm just missing something simple.

Squeegee,Squeegee,Squeegee,Squeegee,  then let it set a minute and spray the app tape with some app fluid and let it soak another minute and remove the app tape.

You are not using high tack app tape are you??

I'm using PerfecTear Main Tape...not sure what tack it is but think its a higher tack.  I also tried some clear tape that I have which is Preview Plus main tape.  It's a medium tack.  Both offered the same results to the process.  I'll give it another shot by allowing the vinyl to sit longer after squeeging, squeeging, squeeging. 

Thanks.

I don't know how long is to long but I wait 5min or so Then wet the app tape well and pull back against the decal with the tape not up

Good Luck

MM64  :lol:

Like Banner John said, 90 Seconds is wishful thinking. Especially if you put it on heavy.  You will need to squeegee, squeegee, and squeegee some more until you think you have squeegeed too much.  I always soak my app tape with a spray bottle of water when I am done squeegeeing. This will loosen the adhesive of the tape.  It should come off pretty easily at that point. Give it some time though. I usually wait 5-10 minutes, but thats because I end up BS'ing with everyone. lol

Squeegee,Squeegee,Squeegee,Squeegee,  then let it set a minute and spray the app tape with some app fluid and let it soak another minute and remove the app tape.

You are not using high tack app tape are you??

do u mean to spray the outside of the tape with the rapi tac

thanx

jeff

Straight from Roger's mouth during an install he helped me with recently:

-Clean the surface with surface prep (no solvent if you can avoid it) Rapid Prep or Tac

-Always use cheap paper towels, NEVER USE THE BLUE SHOP RAGS!

-Clean it again with fresh paper towels.

-Spray the surface with Rapid Tac liberally.

-Spray the graphic liberally as you peel away from the backing paper. This also allows you to pull the graphic back apart if you are installing in a windy situation or should it become stuck together somehow. This is a lifesaver! :thumbsup:

-Apply good downward pressure, you are 'bursting' the micro adhesive 'bubbles' that are part of the vinyl and allowing the Rapid Tac to promote bonding to the surface. Always drag the edge and never lead with the squeegee edge.

-Spray Rapid Tac liberally to the outside of the transfer tape, squeegee again and wipe the edges of the tape to remove any excess/puddling application fluid so that it won't creep back under the tape.

-As Roger described it, take a quick smoke break. :) He instructed this in humor of course, but you get the idea. Anything in the 2-3 minute range minimum, and of course, depending on the situation and temperatures, etc...

-Remove the application tape at an opposite angle, ie if its on glass pull down and at an angle.

He is a valuable resource when it comes to installing, especially on vehicles. The biggest things I learned were never to use the blue shop towels as most cleaners will remove and oils/additives in the more expensive paper towels/rags and leave them behind on the 'clean' surface. Also never lead with the squeegee edge where at all possible.

Hope this helps  :thumbsup:

Just my personal thinking,but on glass you will not beat window juice. Give it a try for yourself I love it.