MattS

Whats with all these oval stickers

I have noticed a increase in popularity of the euro oval stickers.  Is it just something new people are jumping on the band wagon with?  Is there anything stopping anyone for making these or is there some silly patent on making a white oval sticker with a black outline.  I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I have seen stupider trademarks and patents on stuff.

I doubt it is trademarked. You can't trademark a common object. What is inside the oval might be trademarked.

The inside of the oval is simple letters so I do not think those can be trademarked either. The font that is commonly used could be though.

I figured the shape and the text couldn't be protected, but the idea can be.  I just wanted to make sure or at least ask.

I make them from just stretching a circle...not real design.  put any message in it, any font. . any size.    I guess I call those "MY designs.  LOL  

They have grown into more than just the beach sticker.  You can get whatever you want in them like any other sticker and the fad is growing.

Retro stuff is coming back, but that aside, ovals are popular for "toss out" decals for a couple reasons. They are easy for a customer to slap on their window to advertise for you and they don't have any sharp corners, which increase their longevity as far a peeling/snagging goes. I makes tons of ovals every year and I don't push them. people want them.

What kind of equipment is used to create these oval stickers???

Entry level, short run, etc?

For a small qty printer, nothing beats the Epson 1100 in my opinion.  Then just cut them out on your cutter.  If your cutter and current software doesn't do contour cutting, then you can pick up a version of Flexistarter 8.6 that includes contour cutting for normal cutters.  I am using it on a pcut.

Is the Epson 1100 some special inkjet printer, or does it use a special ink so that it doesn't run off when it gets wet? 

Are these then printed and sprayed with a clear laminate, or do I need a laminator too?

JOhn ><>

its a desk top printer that will print on sheet up to 13" wide.  Its a pigment printer.  You will need to put a overlam on after printing.

Then I need a laminator too?

or is there a spray on sealant that will work for short runs?

JOhn ><>

Cool Beans, we have a Christian T-Shirt site www.jmKerusso.com that I thought I woudl add some stickers to, but wasn't sure if it was cost effective to do it..

Thanks

JOhn ><>

I am still experimenting with different types, but census from the crowd says that Sihl 3988 is the best.  I don't think anyone makes the printable vinyl in small sheets.  Have to get a roll and cut into sheets.

Gotcha, hey thanks for the sticker tutorial for dummies.  Now that I have thoroughly hijacked this thread any other hints or tips?