Sign in to follow this  
scarby

Can you outline objects without using a stroke?

I am pretty new to inkscape.  I have used Corel now for about 9 years and know it pretty well.  I was wondering if you can make outlines or contours in inkscape without using a stroke.  I have been looking for a while and just cannot figure it out.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Scarby

No you can't the outline is just an image there still is just one cut line when you make the outline thicker-

However there is a few thinks you can do - make the out line the way you want it save it as a png image then bring that image back in inkscape and revector it then it will be 2 cut lines-

Or you can copy and paste your image and then hit" shift )" and that will make an outset of the image you may have to do that a few times to get it the way you want

I don't have the exact steps anymore but you can easily make a cuttable outline in inkscape. Going from memory here, you make a copy of the text..expand it, then align with the original. Its a very simple process. I'll try to find the actual steps but it's been awhile.

OK here are step-by-step on how to outline in Inkscape...to make a totally cuttable file:

1.Open Inkscape.and enter your text. Make it any color you want

2. Select and Copy the text and paste it below,above or whatever.This will be the background(outline).Make it a different color than the original

3 Select this(the copy) and go to path,then click 'outset'. I usually do it 2 or 3 times to get a nice outline. Experiment to see how much you want.

4.Select both , go to Object: then align and distribute. Align horizontally and vertically.(align centered) save as .eps file  When you go to save, make sure 'convert object to paths is checked in the box that pops up.

Import to SB or whatever and there you have it. You should have both layers..and each in a different color. You can cut each color separately, or both together if you want the outline to be just an outline and don't want to layer one over the other.

I'm not in the shop but if it's like Flexi...whatever you create FIRST stays on the bottom...so you create in the order you want then to be. I really don't remember in INkscape.

i think i may be correct cuz i made the wording first and added the picture later. i will redo it with the pic first. ty