cjj98xj

Test Run gone wrong

So I got some vinyl in finally the other day and set out to test it all this weekend.  I have the 12" cutter and was cutting a logo for my local 4x4 club.  I took a .png and vectorized it in Inkscape.  Saved it as an .eps file and imported that in Signblazer.  Resized the image and proceeded to cut.  Everything seemed to be going fine during the cut.  The blade pulled some of the more intricate cuts off the sheet, but nothing too major.  I messed around a bit with the blade depth and also with the force setting.  Seems my best results came after I finally dialed in my blade depth and had my force setting to 70g. 

There was a bit of an issue though.  For some odd reason, after it cut an initial pass of all the cuts, it came back and made an offset cut of the original cut.  The second pass was offset about .02" or so.  This shouldn't have really caused a problem, but since the first cut was already made, this had a tendency to pull even more vinyl off the sheet.  Ended up being a decent mess by the time I was done. 

I have attached the .png file and the resulting .eps file.  Could someone take a look at these and tell me if something is wrong with the files.  Or perhaps there is a setting somewhere I am not finding that would result in the second pass.

On a side note, I cut some random lettering and it didn't have the second pass.  These turned out fine.  This is what leads me to believe there is a problem with my vectorizing or something.

post-1538-12986514123795_thumb.png

U4x4C style3.png.eps

post-1538-12986514135383_thumb.png

U4x4C style3.png.eps

If you view in outline/wireframe you will see the double line. If you select node edit you could remove the unwanted line, someone else may know a easier way to remove it.

I was able to remove the double lines. I resaved as a .ai imported into SBE converted to monochrome, them vectorized. Here is the vector image.

4x4.SBD

4x4.SBD

It looks like you used edge detection as the trace method in inkscape.  Retrace using brightness cutoff and you will get one outline to cut.

Thanks for all the help everyone.  I sure do appreciate it.  I'll post pics in the showoff forum when I get some time to cut again.