Sign in to follow this  
ekcetera

Ready to ditch MH721 Refine - it's been a headache

I'm trying to grow my business in the vinyl-cutting area. I do decorative wall decals - like Uppercase Living. However, I'm interested in trying to find something that would cut cardstock as well - I've tried it with my refine and it's a nightmare! Ideally, I need something that has a laser guide because I'd like to print on cardstock then cut it.

Anyway, back to my machine. I've had 3 different motherboards on it and I'm really disappointed - although, the price probably reflects the amount of maintenance on it. Most recently, US Cutter told me to send in the entire machine for $99 and they'd look to see what was causing the motherboards to fry. So, I figured, well, let's just get this taken care of instead of just replacing motherboard after motherboard. I paid a bundle on shipping and the replacement fee. Wouldn't you know.....it took forever to fix and I got it back without any summary of what happened or what was replaced. I tried to contact support and days later, I finally get a message saying, "we replaced the motherboard that was fried" DUH!!! That's why I sent it in the first place - motherboards kept frying. I made that very clear that I didn't want it back saying, oh, it's the MB, I wanted them to look into WHY the MB was frying and to fix that so I can move on. Well, now, a few months later (i'm sure it's just past the warranty on the replacement MB, of course) the blade has dropped and won't lift up. Which, from what I read, sounds like a motherboard issue.

I'm trying to grow my business but can't do that when every 3 orders I take, the machine is down and I have to make my customers wait. I am ready to launch a website, but don't dare until I have something that is more reliable.

Does this just sound to people like I need a better machine, and if so, how much do I need to spend? I initially bought the machine thinking, if I don't get into this segment of business - I'm a graphic designer - then, I'm only out a couple hundred bucks. Well, now it's paid for itself and I find it's something that could grow very well for me. What's the next cutter to look at? Is there something out there that will do a good job on vinyl and laser-guided to cut cardstock in large sizes (11x17or bigger)?

with a carrier sheet your refine should do that - on the motherboard issue have you grounded the stand to the cutter so the static that builds up in the stand is safely discharged instead of it going thru the head and frying motherboards??

any scres on the stand to any screw on the plotter - you may need to scrape a little paint to make sure you get a good connection