frogwash

SBE Update for Laserpoint Cutter from USCutter

I have a Laserpoint cutter and having nothing but problems with ramdom cut lines, not completely cutting the images, locking up..etc..  I have downloaded the latest update (Release 6.0.21 from the colorchromefirst website) and ended up with a file named signblazer6.iso...  ok...  now what?;D  I have scoured my drive for a file with the same name to see if it is a possible replacement.. nope..  It isn't any type of executable either...  HELP!!! :huh:

thanks much

If the download was an .iso file, then you need to burn that file to CD (it's a CD imaging file and should contain everything in it).

This is a link to the driver I was told to download (by Bruce from Sign Blazer). Maybe it will work better for you (it's an .exe file).

http://www.signblazer.net/signblazer/updates/uscutter/setup_111107.exe

Since using that driver, I have been error free (with exception to user stupidity, I mean user error  :huh:).

oook... once its burned to a cd ... then what?  lol  ..  I am going to try the other drive you listed and see how that works...  thx

once you burn the iso file to the CD, you can just use the CD as if it were any other driver/application CD. All the individual files (i.e. setup.exe, etc.) should then be visible and readily accessible.

Good luck!

OK..  I used the link you placed and cut one large 10" letter banner...  Seemed to work real well.  The only spot it didn't was the outline box that it typically cuts around the outside of the image.  It left a gap of about 1/2" ..  if that's the only problem I have with it, I can live with that.  I understand this is not the latest update for the Laserpoint and will be recieving that shortly from USCutter in an email.  We'll see what happens next!!

thanks much all

glad you found some kind of band-aid. i'm sure that people will be posting patches and fixes as we go along.

Yeaaa...  :thanks:    But I did copy the .iso file over to a cd...  re-inserted the cd and nothing..  looked at the cd and sure enough..  all thats on there is the signblazer6.iso file!  hmmmm

If you have Nero or some other kind of burning software you should be able to double click the the iso file and it should open up your burner application so that it will burn the "image" and not as a simple data file.

Downloaded the above software update...  nope..  Still cutting a line down the middle of the image, this time diagonally and straight.  So this is the 2nd update I have added.  And still doesnt work.  What's strange here is, after re-installing the whole software package, it cuts perfectly the 1st time I use it.  Each image after that, it seems to go bad.  So now I'm about half way thru a roll and have 2 words cut.  The total image does not get cut before it just takes over and cuts this random line, then SBE locks up.  I then need to unplug the cutter from my computer then it allows me to close the software.  I have tried a new usb cable..  nope..  doesn't work either.  I When I fire up SBE I actually need to go to the setup each time and hit ok in order for the software to recognize the cutter.  I then need to unplug the usb cable and replug it back in...  then I can cut.  But still get undesireable results.  I really need help!!!!!  I sent an email to SBE, they seem to think it is the hardware.  I have gone down the list of items they said to inspect or replace...  still not working.  Does it seem to everyone that usb ports are not reliable?  I have no serial port on my machine so I'm stuck there.

Thanks

Okay, let's try to work this one issue at a time. Is SBE still locking up for you?

If so, then you should probably do a complete uninstallation, shut down, wait a couple of minutes, then reboot and reinstall.

If SBE is working and not locking-up any more, then try checking the depth of the blade. I went through some serious vinyl until I could figure out just the right depth, and the just the right pressure. If the blade sits a little too low, then it can cause the 'slashing' that you're experiencing. I had a lot of slashing while trying to get my LP to just the right configuration.

Other things that might be worth checking: When SBE is in the cut mode screen, click on setting and make sure that th plotter selected is the PCut and not any other plotter (as that was one of the problems that I ran into). If you are connected via USB, make sure that it's plugged-in directly to the computer and not thru a hub (some people have success with hubs, many do not). If you are connected via serial, make sure that the settings on the plotter (ie. baud, etc.) are identical on both the plotter and the computer.

right now those are the things I would look into. It seems a little mental in the beginning, but once you successfully scratch the surface life will be good and then you'll be thinking of all kinds of stuff to put decals on.

Good luck.

Okay, let's try to work this one issue at a time. Is SBE still locking up for you?  It was at the time yes...  & I say at the time because I have completely abandoned using the usb cable all together.

If so, then you should probably do a complete uninstallation, shut down, wait a couple of minutes, then reboot and reinstall.  Did that a few times... & even installed the updates.. both of them.

If SBE is working and not locking-up any more, then try checking the depth of the blade. I went through some serious vinyl until I could figure out just the right depth, and the just the right pressure. If the blade sits a little too low, then it can cause the 'slashing' that you're experiencing. I had a lot of slashing while trying to get my LP to just the right configuration. 

Depth was not the issue.  The 1st item I cut, which was quite long about 8 feet, cut perfect.  It's not just the fact that the cutter was slashing and cutting down the middle of the image but it would not finish the image (which was simply text) and then would take off from the character not completely cut, and head for the 0,0 position with the blade down.  ! would carefully watch the cutter and exactly what it would do.  The vinyl was very flat and the blade was not even close to the vinyl when in the up position.

Other things that might be worth checking: When SBE is in the cut mode screen, click on setting and make sure that th plotter selected is the PCut and not any other plotter (as that was one of the problems that I ran into).   PCut ...  yup

If you are connected via USB, make sure that it's plugged-in directly to the computer and not thru a hub (some people have success with hubs, many do not). If you are connected via serial, make sure that the settings on the plotter (ie. baud, etc.) are identical on both the plotter and the computer.  No hub and even tried 2 different usb cables..    Baud rate, etc..  all set identical...

I do not have a serial port on my laptop which was the computer of choice for me using the cutter.  I have completely abandoned the idea of using a usb cable, especially for larger images.  I took the cutter into my office and hooked up the serial cable and it ..  WORKS GREAT!!  Not only that.. but I also took the same image when I had it hooked up to my laptop via usb, and scaled the image down and ran a cut with it much smaller..  that seemed to work.  But as soon as I enlarged the image..  forget it!!  Doesn't work.  I have kind of come to the conclusion that larger images with usb will not be reliable.  I have used 2 different usb cables and both are 6 foot or shorter.  So, for now, I need to use the serial cable...  as long as I can get something to work I'm ok..  But I have no serial port on my laptop (serial ports = old technology)

thanks