Sign in to follow this  
jcart

Bubbles on banner

Put together my first banner for a local title co. and it was 3'x6' with 2 colors. On the layered parts, I had a problem with MANY air bubbles. I was able to get rid of the larger ones with a pin hole but when I unrolled it for the customer at their business, I was pretty embarassed with all of the bubbles. I applied dry and the one layer stuff looked good. Should I have wet applied the double layers? Any suggestions for future would be greatly appreciated.

Jon C

ps.  This forum has been a great education and I hope I can give back with experience.

I always do vinyl on vinyl wet. Or vinyl on very glossy banner,wet also. aves a lot of trouble and embarassment.

Are the bubbles between the layers of vinyl and not bottom layer of vinyl and the banner?

I'm fairly new to vinyl installation but it only took me 2 decals installs to decide to always go wet with most doubled layered decals.

Guest manwayvan

Okay so I dont mean to jump on someones thread but I have seen 2 main thoughts on bubbles and I havent really been in a position to really be clarified. So I attempt to the best of my ability to apply with no bubbles but I have had some things come out with bubbles but I still sell it(mostly yard signs)as I have been told that outdoor bubbles will work themselves out in the sun when the vinyl shrinks..So what's the proper way to handle this? I have never had an unpleased customer nor have had any products come back with issues

I have found glossy banners are the worst for bubbles, does anyone else agree,, or not,,,,

I just did a huge 4x16 today double sided glossy, the gloss side had bubbles,, which i poked and got the air out,

the other side which was more matt and non glossy, was perfect not one bubble,,

thanks for any input.

I have found glossy banners are the worst for bubbles, does anyone else agree,, or not,,,,

I just did a huge 4x16 today double sided glossy, the gloss side had bubbles,, which i poked and got the air out,

the other side which was more matt and non glossy, was perfect not one bubble,,

thanks for any input.

I have found this to be true as well. I still always do wet on glossy.

I did my banners all wet with RapidTac 2, no bubbles at all during application, but you really REALLY need to work all the moisture out from behind the vinyl before you roll it up (vinyl side out) or let it sit overnight to fully dry before rolling it up for delivery as I have found you get bubbles and tunnels on some stuff when you goto unroll it. Just my experience & Ive only done about 6 or 7 banners so far. All Oracal 651, and Bandana Banner in rolls.

Thanks for all of the input. I did another singlelayer this weekend and it did fine but on the next multi-layer I will try the wet app.