Sign in to follow this  
Guest YHC

Bowling Alley Job( 1-36 Glow in dark #s)

Guest YHC

I have someone requesting new numbers for thier bowling alley. Must be white in normal light and be able to glow under a blacklite. What vinyl do you think would best suite this application and how would you price it installed?

It would be for #s 1-36 at 6" tall

I was thinking of phosphorescent vinyl but if anyone else can think of a white vinyl that would glow under a blacklite let me know.

The glow in the dark vinyl is a nightmare to work with, lots of issues of it bubbling off the backing paper while you cut it. I would think regular white would glow under black light. Never tried it but it might.

Take some of your regular white in and try it before cutting it!  they the customer can give the ok or not

Guest YHC

Take some of your regular white in and try it before cutting it!  they the customer can give the ok or not

Thats what I was thinking to. I'm waiting for a call back to see what the color is on the numbers now.

Guest YHC

Reflective is what I was thinking myself. Beacon Graphics has decent prices on 15x10yd rolls of it.

Isn't reflective more for direct light? They are wanting it to glow with lights out and only the Blacklights on. He called and said that the numbers are white right now and can't be seen with just the blacklights on. If it didn't need to be white faced with normal lighting I could us just any fluorescent color vinyl.

Think it should work, use white vinyl and scuff with a grey scotchbrite, mist a couple of light coats, cut weed and apply.

Only issue that I could think of is some paints will not dry on some types of vinyl.

Guest YHC

Think it should work, use white vinyl and scuff with a grey scotchbrite, mist a couple of light coats, cut weed and apply.

Only issue that I could think of is some paints will not dry on some types of vinyl.

Also the app tape might take it off. Seems cheap enough to test though. If not I have some nutty friends that would get good uses out of it.

I have painted vinyl with HOK paint candys and clear and it stay on.

Would be really interested with your results if you try it!

Being a big nerd.....we have done several computer case mods using vinyl where the case used black lights.  White vinyl does NOT glow under black light....at all, its designed to block UV light and I think thats why.

However, the clearneon spray you show above here coats white vinyl great, and will make it glow like crazy.  I have no idea how well it will hold up over time, we are going 3 months on the inside of cases though looking great, it would probly scratch off pretty easy though, less so on 631 because its matte, thats what we used on the inside of the cases.

The best way we found to apply the stuff was cut your graphic, but don't weed before you tape it.  Place on substrate and remove transfer tape.....spray down the graphic and allow the extra vinyl you leave (I cut it with very large borders) to catch the overspray, then weed the vinyl.  I was afraid that taping over the sprayed graphic after it was sprayed would cause some of the paint to flake or pull up.

It worked great for our purposes. 

FWIW reflective also does nothing with UV.  Flourescent vinyl does though, but its super expensive and has short life. 

That clearneon is also available in brush on. Apply prepped graphics and brush the clearneon on after?

I have painted vinyl with HOK paint candys and clear and it stay on.

Would be really interested with your results if you try it!

Hey TSQUIRTZ willing to give a little more detail on painting HOK on vinyl. Been wanting to try that. Just not sure which paint will work on vinyl and not come off.

Only did it once on a vinyl, a rose graphic for a friend, used sg100 with kk dyes, airbrushed the graphic and rattle can cleared it.

It held up as far as I know.