Sign in to follow this  
RPM Graphics

clean cut blade settings

Still figuring out settings to use with a 60 degree clean cut blade.  

1.  What offset?

2.  What depth for shirt vinyl like siser

3.  What pressure for shirt vinyl.

4.  What blade depth for 651

5.  What pressure for 651

Here are my current settings for shirt vinyl cutting, using ecofilm from imprintables, just like siser ezweed.  .  

1.  0 offset

2.  130 pressure

3.  50 speed

4.  blade barely sticking out of holder.  

Starts out cutting great and then halfway through the cutting, it will get choppy ------------ in SOME of the left to right cuts.  Other LONG cuts left to right are glass smooth.  Weird......I've only had the cutter since october and the blade for a month.  How important is the cutting strip on the cutter?  When does that need changed. 

I have tried everything, so don't tell me to go to the newbie guide.  If I can't get help here, I will write a support request.   Thanks.......pat......

Have you opened up the blade holder and made sure there is no little piece of vinyl stuck in there causing it not to rotate.  That would explain why the straight cuts are smooth because the blade doesn't have to rotate.  Also I am sure you do but a drop of oil?

I like to look at the blade with a magnifying glass that way I can see in real good and also make sure the blade tip is still there and not broke.  Clean cut blades take much less pressure and if you have to much you can break the tip off...

I don't want to open the blade holder as I might not get the depth correct again.  But I will try the oil thing and see what happens...Thanks...pat....

I don't want to open the blade holder as I might not get the depth correct again.  But I will try the oil thing and see what happens...Thanks...pat....

If that doesn't work you may have to because it sounds like a small piece could be stuck in there keeping the blade from rotating.  Thats what I like about the graphtec you can take it apart without messing with the depth.  I know what you mean but when I had my pcut I also had the blade out to far until someone told me put it in the holder then run your finger along the bottom until you can just feel it and that seemed to work good.

Good luck

The drop of oil seems to be working so far.  Now I want to buy another blade and holder.  One for shirt vinyl and one for sign vinyl.  That way I don't have to keep messing with trying to change the blade depth every time

......Thanks..pat............

The drop of oil seems to be working so far.  Now I want to buy another blade and holder.  One for shirt vinyl and one for sign vinyl.  That way I don't have to keep messing with trying to change the blade depth every time

......Thanks..pat............

Same thing I do except one for regular and shirt and another for reflective/metallics

yup me too and thats a great idea

Well, I've been cutting tons of shirt vinyl lately and finally your suggestion helped solve the problem.  So I went ahead and cut some 651 just for kicks.  Used the same blade depth as for the ecofilm and it cut like a million bucks.  Also, would you believe it if I told you that different colors of Ecofilm are different thicknesses.  My black and white seem thicker than the other colors.  At the same blade depth and pressure, the navy blue gets cut all the way through part of the backing film.  Is it really possible? 

No film is the same inthickness.

you ALWAYS have to test cut if you change color or type.

After a while you know what is the best setting for the films.

It might be worth to have some extra bladeholders with knifes to exchaneg for change of films.

Paco

Oh yeah, how come you guys didn't tell me that cutting reflective vinyl was so much fun.  I didn't see anything on this board as far as cutting was concerned, so I just did it with some trial and error.  I hope to take pics of the finished product.  I always forget. 

I've discovered this too...all the vinyls are different thicknesses, especially specialty vinyl like metallics, glow in the dark, even the standard white Papilio glossy is very thick.  Some of them take two contour cutting passes to get to the backing paper.

If you have to cut twice then your pressure is to low or your knife is not sticking out tho much for THAT thickness of vinyl you are cutting.

If you regurlarly cut different material you think invest in extra blad holder with pre set knifes.

Paco

you cant just be given a specific offset, depth, pressure for a certain blade and expect it to work. every blade is different and no machine or material will be the same. what is the right setting for someone could be completely off for someone else using the same exact blade, machine and material.

If you have to cut twice then your pressure is to low or your knife is not sticking out tho much for THAT thickness of vinyl you are cutting.

If you regurlarly cut different material you think invest in extra blad holder with pre set knifes.

Paco

Right, but I don't want to keep changing the blade depth. Pressure is easy to change, and cutting twice is easy too. I think you have a good idea there and I will probably invest in different blade holders with pre-set blade depth for different materials.