Sign in to follow this  
barrypatch

Trouble applying Oracal 631 - backing not coming off

I am going to stop selling the 631 until I can make sure my customers can apply it.  I have so much trouble with the tape for Oracal 631.  I have a local customer trying to apply a 66" long x 8" high piece to her wall using the hinge method.  The backing won't pull away from the vinyl.  I had no trouble weeding it.  I am using Main Tape Perfec Tear plus which was recommended to me.  If we don't get this applied, I am going to tell my customer we are waiting until I get more info and a new type of tape before we try again.  I started out using the Oracal HT-55 (I think that's the right number) for the 631 and had the same trouble with it.

Which tape should I use?  I have a 24" laserpoint, pressure was set at 110, this was the dark brown color.

I am going to cut a few test pieces to apply to my wall to see if I have the same trouble.  This has been ongoing for me, but I was hoping this tape would fix it.  I have used the tape on small projects and it did okay.

Nancy

I have had similar issues before. I realized that I was cutting into the backing paper and for some reason it makes it very difficult to get the backing off. When I adjusted the blade in a little if fixed the problem.

Jay

I thought I was cutting too deep, so I did adjust the blade and it's a little better.  Every time I take the blade out I have problems.  When I put it back in, the blade holder doesn't lift up when the cutter head (not sure what it's called) is moving to the next letter, so I get cut lines on my vinyl.  I have been messing with it and I think I have it set right now.  The blader holder barely lifts while moving and not cutting. The lines aren't as deep as the cut lines, but enough you can see the path of the blade.  I have to push up really hard on the part the blade holder fits in while tightening the silver screw.

Maybe the tape I am using is right and it's just a blade depth adjustment.  I cut more 651 than anything and am tempted to order another blade holder so I can have one for 631 and one for 651.

Thanks.

Nancy

Guest YHC

Nancy,

Is your tightener scraping the red cover for your blade holder? I know if you tighten it to much the bolt will start to touch on the red cover. That plastic stretches when tightened to much which will not allow the blade to go up all the way.

If the backing is sticking to the adhesive side of the graphic your cutting into the paper too much. Back off the pressure and it will fix it.

Also squeegee the back of the decal firmly first, and pull the backing paper off at as sharp an angle as possible, those two things seem to help.

Thanks for the tips.  I am working on pressure and blade depth to test it.  We finally got the vinyl on her wall by literally lifting each letter off.

I get confused trying to figure out if the tape is not sticking to the letter well enough or if I cut too deep.  I am going to work on test cuts tonight, I am determined to make this work.  After taking the backing off, should I see any trace of the text?  I am thinking that will be a good indication if I am cutting too deep.

I have no trouble with 651, but the 631 is an issue for me.  I called Oracal for help, they never called back.

I just got a big order for decals for a fundraiser, I am excited, it's my first large order. I am off to place an order for more vinyl and tape.

Thanks for your help, I will get this figured out and let you know.

Nancy

I usually don't see any traces of the cut on the backing, if any exists, it's so faint that I can barely make out what it is.

I had the same problems, both vinyl not lifting and the cut lines in the vinyl. I problem with the vinyl not lifting was caused by to much cutting pressure, the cut lines were caused by the screw that holds the cutter hitting the red cover. I just added a spacer.