Sign in to follow this  
wasatchcars

Cutting Coroplast

That's overkill, IMO.  What's wrong with just using a sharp knife?  Also, Grimco sells houses, arrows, golfcarts, helmets, etc, already pre-cut.

That is a great little tool - I bought the single speed one and went back and bought the multispeed when it came out.  soft start is nice - when you turn it on it builds up to the set speed gradually - doesn't jump in your hand.  I use it with the sanding attachment and it's great for spot repairs on automotive paint - you can sand a tiny area without growing the repair area too large like might be the case with a full size DA sander - easily feathers out damage areas and filler in prep for refinishing.

I don't think it is what you want to use to make custom shapes in coroplast - OK it will cut it just fine - but you will have to freehand it - Might as well use a utility knife.  If you get much call for special shapes think about making a template to guide a utility knife. Cut the shape in vinyl stick it to a plastic or tempered hardboard sheet and jigsaw and sand it to the exact shape you need and you make your custom shaped signs.

Another tool that will work is a Cutawl saw - Any old sign guys still using one of them?  I've got 3 K-11 machines and had 2 K-9's that I sold on ebay after I bought the 3rd K-11 at a pawn shop a few years ago.  You still have to use a pattern and guide the machine to follow it - but with the right blade you can cut a stack of signs in one pass.  Depending on the blade probably a couple of inches stacked up.

Neat old machine still in production - pricey new - here is a link to an epinions.com review

http://www.epinions.com/review/Cutawl_K_11/content_115969592964

I would probably still just use a template and a utility knife or Olfa

-Mike

I have tried a few times using a utility knife but its not easy cutting diagonally across the flutes

I can never seem to get a nice straight cut.

The way they cut the shaped coro is with a die press. they will have a metal shape with a sharp edge that they will use a hydrolic press to cut the shape in several sheets at a time to get a nice clean cut.

You could make your own if you have the tools.

The way they cut the shaped coro is with a die press. they will have a metal shape with a sharp edge that they will use a hydrolic press to cut the shape in several sheets at a time to get a nice clean cut.

You could make your own if you have the tools.

for the work and bother though you would be money ahead to just order them done from the vendors above :thumbsup:

I have a coupon for the Var Speed Multifunction tool for 49.99 if anyone wants it, its an email I got from HF