Sign in to follow this  
RetMOS

Vinyl on garage floors

I am putting down one of those epoxy garage floor systems and I was thinking of putting vinyl decals on top of the color coat but under the epoxy coat.  Has anyone tried this and did you have any issues?  I would think this would work, considering vinyl is much more durable than the Mylar colored flakes that you would normally use.  I'm just wondering if there is any interaction between the vinyl and epoxy.

RetMOS

079/PBBN

I am not sure of a reaction but i'm sure its been done before at these large companies and stuff. you might try a little test and put some vinyl on a tile and cover it with the epoxy to see if it reacts while its drying.

Sometimes the answer is that obvious.  I've seen it all over the place and didn't realize it.  A test is always a good idea.  Thanks

I would think one thing that might be a problem is when the epoxy layers harden as 1 unit they are stronger but with a sheet of plastic between will if be more likely to fail in that area by chipping or delaminating.  I would be interested in how  a test turned out

I would think one thing that might be a problem is when the epoxy layers harden as 1 unit they are stronger but with a sheet of plastic between will if be more likely to fail in that area by chipping or delaminating.  I would be interested in how  a test turned out

+1

We use the epoxy on our floors at work and the biggest problem I see is chipping and peeling in areas where it wasn't prepped properly. I would put the vinyl on top. It is suprising how well it will hold up.

I put a 2 layer graphic on my shop floor - right in the doorway - about 9 months ago as a joke.  It's holding up great!  No vehicle traffic, just heavy foot traffic...and, I didn't even prep the surface.  Just swept off the chunks and stuck it on.  :thumbsup:

I put a 2 layer graphic on my shop floor - right in the doorway - about 9 months ago as a joke.  It's holding up great!  No vehicle traffic, just heavy foot traffic...and, I didn't even prep the surface.  Just swept off the chunks and stuck it on.  :thumbsup:

what vinyl?

Heck yes that's cool. That Oracal is the bomb-diggity.

Guest kenya

This is great info.... I'm thinking about removing the carpet in my shop & doing something like this.