Sign in to follow this  
krikster

How do you figure cost of wear and tear on equipment?

I keep having people tell me that I should think about pricing for the equipment for replacements over time. Problem is those that tell me that doesn't tell me how to figure that out as an added cost. Is it wise to do this or no?

I would thing depreciate the cost over the expected lifetime of the equipment - seldom do people keep the same printer for over 3-4 years where the cutter would be better over 5 years

With a larger piece of equipment, it's easier to depreciate it over the expected life of the machine.  Basically, you just take the total cost of the machinery and associated consumable supplies per month, then divide that by how long you expect the equipment to last.  This will give you an idea of how much you need to take in each month just to pay for that machine.

The most difficult part is estimating how long you expect the machine to last.  In all likelihood, a Roland or similar printer, with proper maintenance will probably last a long time, depending on how hard you work it.  There are machines 10 years old and older than that that still sell all the time.  The question is how long you WANT to keep the equipment before upgrading.  Newer machines are always faster, better quality, more diverse, etc.  Research into the technology advances in the field of the machine should give you an idea of how long it will be before the next "big thing".

If you bought the equipment outright, you are essentially getting your money back slowly, minus the cost of consumables (ink and such for printers, blades and cutting strips for cutters, as stated above), and in theory you have enough (or more, ideally) at the end of the machine's life to purchase another.

If you are leasing the machine, you are obviously just making the monthly payments and buying consumables.

That's one of the things I love about my LP24, I lost track of how many times it has paid for itself.  :(  A printer/cutter is another matter..

I have a 54" roland Versacamm as many of you know... This is what i do. Not saying its right by any means but its what i do for this.

What i try to follow is anywhere from $3-5 per order of $50. I apply this to vinyl thats printed only. no labor/install anything like that. just what they are paying for it to come out of my printer.

So if they spend $200 on bumper stickers. they will give me 12-20 depending on if they are a fancy contour cut and laminated. The printer guys have to add the fee of the laminator also. I just add this to the estimate. i dont say "this is for a shop fee" that way they never complain...

Juat what i do...

Wow thanks for the info all!! Basically I am looking to start small since I have been out of work for almost 5 months now and am trying to get into work that reflects on my graphic design experience in school at the Art Institute. So with lack of funds, I am looking into the USCutter MH series and have searched for any bad reviews of the machine to see if I need to start that cheap. I am one that would upgrade over time, but still run the old one into the ground as long as it is still kicking.

As for the cutting strip what part is that? I have also looked into the more expensive contour cutters, but don't have money for the printer and laminator too to keep the inks from fading. So basically I am going to muti-layer (also one color) my own graphics on my mac, throw them into my PC and into the sign software and cut them, weed them, and layer them and sell them. Do signs as well for business around town as well and try working into other things like screen printing shirts too.

Any and all advice is welcomed everyone...Thanks for the help!!

I would start with something other than an MH, based on some of the experiences posted on here.  I have had my LP for around 2 years now and I love it.  I'm pretty sure it's the same as the Pcut with contour cutting capabilities.

Might want to ask this question in the Pre-sale Question forum too.

I would start with something other than an MH, based on some of the experiences posted on here.  I have had my LP for around 2 years now and I love it.  I'm pretty sure it's the same as the Pcut with contour cutting capabilities.

Might want to ask this question in the Pre-sale Question forum too.

Who makes the LP model? I looked at the site and don't see it.

krikster,

In answer to what is the cutting strip?

The cutter moves the blade holder right and left and feeds the vinyl forward and back to make the contours of the cut path.  Think of the cutting strip as like the platen on a typwriter - it's where the action takes place in the cutting process.

It is a white plastic strip which is replaceable, but if you take care to never cut through the vinyl and backing completely - you should get a very long life out of it.

-mike

krikster,

In answer to what is the cutting strip?

The cutter moves the blade holder right and left and feeds the vinyl forward and back to make the contours of the cut path.  Think of the cutting strip as like the platen on a typwriter - it's where the action takes place in the cutting process.

It is a white plastic strip which is replaceable, but if you take care to never cut through the vinyl and backing completely - you should get a very long life out of it.

-mike

Thanks Mike.