Sign in to follow this  
smee

Can you add a watermark?

G'day everyone,

I have been volunteered for the job of designing a poster for our town fair. I was thinking of using Inkscape, I use it all the time for designing for vinyl cutting but not printing.  The organisers have given me a brief of what they want and it includes a picture they want as a watermark type thing in the background.  Anyone got any ideas on how I would achieve this using Inkscape?

Smee,

I would design your poster using Inkscape, then whatever you want to use for a watermark, a name, design or just plain text, place under or over the design in a contrasting color. 

Joe

Thanks Joe. I've been talking to my son and he suggests that I mess with the transparency in the fill/stroke.  The image I have to watermark is in jpeg form so perhaps if I vectorise it first maybe then I can try the transparency thing.

Will let you know how I go.

Cheers

You could cover the image with a box that's the same color as the background and adjust the transparency of that. Probably easier than vectorizing the logo.

That's certainly an idea! I'll give it a go.

For me when I do anything in inkscape...everything becomes a vector if at all possible.  The only other case is really high resolution stuff for print.

If everything is vector objects (if possible) all the fill and strokes have opacity sliders so you can get the desired effect you want.

I have had success! I ended up vectorising the picture and adjusting the transparency, which meant the vector didn't have to be perfect especially since it's in a "faded" form in the backgroud. Thanks everyone for all your help and ideas, I really appreciate it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

that watermark tool was a huge waste of time. Yes it did work on the screen but when I tried to view the image with the watermark on it, the file was corrupted, all of them were, what a waste of time that was.