Sign in to follow this  
malamute

Artcut with Refine quit working

Well lets start this off the right way.... I have a Refine721 and Artcut had some sort of problem a week ago and asked to "install cd-r and press ok" so i re installed the whole bundle. It worked for the next project. Then as of this afternoon it happened again, only this time after going about all the same things, it won't work.

When I send the project to the cutter to cut it stalls indefinately, when i cancel the job i get a message stating "program not responding send error report blah blah blah"  Then after backing out of the process the cutter jumps over a couple inches and drops the blade to the vinyl and sits there waiting to be reset.

I have tried;

new usb cables

tried changing all the different COM's/USB settings

restarting both the computer and cutter many different times

doing the whole software bundle uninstall reinstall many times

the cutter does it test pattern fine

and all other functions as far as moving material and changing speeds and cutting force

As I well know Artcut is pretty much the crappiest software i have ever used in the field of graphics, it had worked decently until now. I was able to shortcut lots of the software's flaws and shortcomings.

Buying a really good cutting software ie; Corel, isn't really much of an option at this time. And I never really liked trial software, and clogging up my pc with lots of clutter I will never use.

I thought that it was just me ..............  This happened to me too !

Anyone Else ?

I'm not positive about the deal,but signcut is offering a 3 year subscription for I think $49.00.

Is there possibly something wrong with Artcut software? Possibly a shelf life of some sort? It's aggravating.

I don't mean to sound like a snob of sorts, but you could get corel version 9 for like 40 bucks, sure its like a couple years old version, but if i were in the market to need version 11 or 12 whatever they are up now I would probably need a better cutter than  Refine721. I really would like some insight on what anyone has done to remedy this situation on their own? or with help.

You probably could get corel 9 for 40,but then you still have to have cutter software.And to me that's just adding one more communication link to get screwed up before it gets to the cutter.You might also try uninstalling and then clearing the temp files out of your C:Documents and Settings*.*Local SettingsTemp.I don't know what your directory is ,so I put the *.* .If you do a bunch of installs,it fills the temp dir.up and some of the same cached files are used in the install.If one of those cached files is bad,then you are missing files needed to run the install correctly.

After posting late last night I pulled out an entirely different computer, a desktop version running XP home edition I have the same results. I'll be calling for tech support shortly if i can't get this fixed.

After you install or reinstall Artcut and it is looking for the CD-R you need to insert the white disk that says graphics on it as a authentication check and then the program should run normally from the start menu. As far as I know there is no expiration for Artcut. If you are getting "program not responding" you probably have too many programs running on the computer at once or something conflicting with Artcut. Even if you think you do not have anything running take these troubleshooting steps anyway.

Run Msconfig to get rid of startup programs. Start>Run>type MSCONFIG and click ok> go to STARTUP tab>Uncheck all programs and reboot. Make sure you know how to access this setting again so after troubleshooting you can go in and recheck the necessary startup programs that actually should be running such as a firewall, anitspyware, or virus scan.

If you are still having problems after that contact us to go over some more options.

I launched system restore (back nearly a month) and oddly enough it worked, this still doesn't explain why I had the same issues exactly on a completely different pc?

We'll see how long this may last,

If the Artcut disk has become scratched then some of the files may not be installing properly from the disk, which would explain why a system restore from before the time you reinstalled the program worked. Additionally it could have been any number of changes that happened on your computer during that time period since the restore that caused conflicts with Artcut.

Just my 2 sents about software I just got corel draw 13 i know its good softwae when you learn how to ues it. (if you have alot of time to learn it) what P me off about corel is that i wanted to outline 1 part of a ESP design and it would not let me break apart the node...now about artcut.. i don't like mm..i have a calculater to convert to inch but it a pain in the a** to do that all the time..and when i ungroup something to edit it will not let me group it back..I don't know maybe i need to take more time to learn the softare better...but i do know this i have a demo cd of vinylmaster por..and i like it and will be buying it soon........just my 2 sents.......