Sign in to follow this  
Kitchen Witch

windows 7 won't recognize cutter after it 'freezed up'

Hi! I have tried 5 cuts on my new laserpoint, and only 3 have worked.

First, on one cut, it stopped and diagonally cut back through everything. Then it freezed up (the cutter said 'waiting') Ever since, when I plug it in the computer says 'USB not recognized..windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (code 43)

I have looked everwhere in the forums and can't fix it.

Then I went and bought a $20 Serial/USB adapter hoping that would help, but it is no different.

I really want this fixed, it's brand-new and I am worried I made the wrong decision........

Baud 9600

Data Bits 8

Parity none

Stop Bits 1

Flow control = hardware

Thanks!

a couple of things - is the cutter screwed to the stand so it is grounding the stand?  did you install a serial card in your desktop or go  with a adapter cable ( the keyspan seems to be the best of these. the adapter card is usually better.  I just use the usb on all my equipment but that has not worked for everyone.  usually the problem you are describing comes back to a static buildup issue that is cured by grounding the stand - some have used dryer sheets on the vinyl or even just crank the humidifier up more!  One person last year used a vaprizer in the room not pointed at the cutter of course  :thumbsup:

try first small objects not larger then 30 cm and cut them a few times to see if it is static.

Then enlarge (troubleshooting for the cause)!

you did not made the wrong choice, but in this world of electronics sometimes things can be akward.

Paco

I'm really happy to say that we got it all fixed :thumbsup:

After I posted this, I was kinda mad at my computer, so I shut it down.  When I resarted it later, the program that came with the USB/Serial adapter 'finished' installing! (DOH)

Ever since, it has worked BEAUTIFULLY!!!  We are now taking t-shirt jobs and I LOVE my cutter ;)

Thanks a lot for all the advice!  Now I'm gonna browse the forum as someone who's not desperate to 'figure it out'!

P.S. I guess that's one more  :thumbsup: for going serial if the USB is not behaving!