Sign in to follow this  
MarcelC

Updating to new Signcut version

As long as you have a valid license with Signcut you can download updates from their website http://sc-x2.com/. Just click on customer login and log in with the account information they initially sent you in the registration email. You can click on downloads and see the latest versions available. Currently they are up to 2.16 although the text on the website still says its 2.15.

You can determine which version you are running by opening the Signcut program and clicking "help" and then "about signcut x-2". Now look for the line that says "Subrevision 2.16 WIN". If your version says anything lower like 2.14 then you should download the latest version. After downloading close make sure the Signcut program is closed and install the updated version.

Guest garysigndesign

Marcel,

I have recently installed the updated SignCut software as described from the SignCut site in hopes of resolving the cutting problems I have had with the plotter since I began using it back in January of ?07. Prior to updating the SignCut software, I was investigating their site for a USB/serial interface kernel for the iMac after reading a post on this site.  I have to go back and find that post and re-read what the topic was referring to I though for sure that the post was describing the USB /Serial interface kernel and where it is located in signcut or maybe it was a plotter driver that the post was describing that is available from SignCut. I was not able to find a USB /Serial interface but I continued to download the software update instead. (Back to the USB/serial kernel up date) There is an updated version for OS 10.3.4-9 available from the original providers site, FT232R USB UART. Therefore, I updated both. However, since installing both updates I have lost the connectivity function with the serial /USB port. I am able to make a test calibration check from the SignCut software but in my system preference, setting shows red instead of green, which means that I am not connected through the USB port.  In addition, my software license dose not display the time of usage expiration date anymore and limits me to 3? x 3? like a demo version which has expired.  What should I do? In addition to this problem when I logged onto SignCut's site it shows that my subscription is good until 2010. Any suggestions on how to re-approach getting things running again?

P.S. The complete updating of everything was prompted by my inability to cut out anything with any detail under 7-8?. When I would try to cut a simple design it continually catches or snags parts of the graphic image on the cutting head no matter how slow I adjust the speed or even the blade setting which is adjusted to a sliver or a fraction out from the head. When I calibrate the blade or check the blades integrity I use a 15x & 20x loop but this has not allow me to cut below the 7-8? mark. Please share your insights on the above-described topics that have stopped my ability to cut anything. Thank you.

Email me at: garykarm1@netzero.com or post a response at your soonest convenience.

garysigndesign out?

Hi,

regarding upgrade of SignCut-X2 for mac, do you really have the sub-rev. 2.16 now? Please check that in the About SignCut dialog under HELP.

There you should also be able to see teh expiration date.

Another question, what are you able to read on the Title bar at the top of the SugnCut-X2 window? Is it the PE-version or Test version?

If it is Test version, then the problem you have experienced is caused of the lack of Internet connection for SignCut-X2.

If so, check that you have no settings for Proxy just keep port 80, I mean, if you do not have a proxy server, which is not so common. Also check that there is no firewall or virus protection that blocks Internet connection for SignCut-X2.

If something like that is not the cause then check that you use the correct license number. If you have more than one license you may mixed them up?

Regarding the problem to get a working communication between the plotter and computer that may be solved if you upgrade to subrevision 2.16? Also check that you have donwloaded a SignCut-X2 version appropriate for the OS-X version on your machine.

The red computer status-lamp obvioulsy indicates that something is wrong with the connection. Check the adapter driver once again. You can find more information about that under the FAQ on our web-site. If possible also try an external USB to serial adapter and then we recommend an adapter with the FTDI-chipset.

Regarding the cut out accuracy problem you have had, it is hard to guess what could be the cause.

I suggest that you trim the knife pressure to o minium for cutting through and that you set a blade offest in Signcut-X2 of 0.01"

Use the test cut ability in Signcut-X2 for those tests. The blade offset is correct when you have sharp 90 degree corners.

Also recude the overcut in each path to for instance 0,1"

Check that the knife still has an edge and that is is really sharp.

If the vinyl is thick then use a knife with 45-degrees angle.

A thin high quality vinyl is to prefer!

Check that the knife head is not loose with a huge play?

You should be able to cut object within 0.3" or smaller.

Guest garysigndesign

I have since went as far as reformatting my hard drive and re loading all software including the updated versions of SignCut and FTDI Chip's updated driver. everything seems to be working ok. I am actually surprised at the fine lines I am able to cut. With that hurtle overcome I have  had to deal with a  couple of others. First, I had some  very detailed artwork archived on a CD and compressed with an earlier version of Stuffit the original vector designs were designed in ai 5.0 or 8.0 on MAC OS 7.5 - OS 8.5  when I successfully decompressed the files and opened the files in aiCS2 at this point all the vector information was fully intact and  fully functional next I sent it to Sign Cut this is where I ran into problems. After importing the older file from aiCS2 and imported it into SignCut parts of the design showed up lighter in certain sections of the artwork and would not cut. After reading up on SignCut's one  sided  help files [ meaning that they based there cutting scenarios are based on a Windows OS using Corel Draw ] and made references to ai files when exporting. After trying several experiments with saving the file in various formats I came to the conclusion that if I save the file as an EPS  Bitmaped file that was enlarged  prior to saving about 200-300 % so I would have a large file to run through aiCS2 Live Trace and saved this new file as an aiCS2 file with all of the new information obtained from running it through Live Trace. That seemed to work fine now the only problem is the weed boarder in SignCut dose not work.  That is the latest problem I am having a rather difficult time finding the answer to achieve the final result of producing a weed boarder. I have tries several variations on SignCuts approach to simply setting the weed border in the tiling sub menu and in the cut settings sub menu still no weed boarder what is the trick to somthing so very simple???. Any input on this or any of the above described subjects please respond. Thank you. Gary Karm  out...

The issue you have about the weed-boarder is not easy to anser. All I know is that there is thouasands of users who never have any problems at all with that border.

On the other hand you describes a method to handle files that sounds very complicated in my ears. On the other hand, I'm not so familiar with using CS2.

But to convert vector images into bitmaps and than back to vectors again is principally not to recommend because you will loose in accuracy.

With SignCut-X2 for Mac follows a script for CS2 for quick and trouble free file transfer. After installation you should find that as an option under the Files menu, "Send to SignCut-X2". The file is sent to a folder named IMPORT situated under the SignCut-X2 folder. To open the last file saved into that folder, just press key 1 or the button IMPORT.

Try that and I hope things will work more smooth for you.

But be sure that the complete imageis vector based before it is sent to SignCut-X2.