Sign in to follow this  
VendettaVinyl

Need Suggestion

I am looking for a used vinyl printer/cutter for colored stickers and wraps but need a good suggestion on where to start. I will only be able to spend at most 4000 but would like something in the 2500 range.

I think that price is in dreamland - no offense but a cheap used 30" is going to run you 6-7000.  If you find 2 let me know!

I agree...that price is a dream.

Your best bet for 5g's I would think would be an aqueous printer cutter that can be converted to a solvent......there are a couple guys on here that run them I believe.  I doubt 2500 will happen however.

Contrary to what the others told you, you can find pretty good used wide-format inkjet printers (look for a used HP brand inkjet) for a few thousand dollars, then buy a vinyl cutter/plotter that has the "contour cutting" feature like the ones on this website. The US Cutter brand has a couple models with the contour cutting feature, for very decent prices.

I found a really nice used HP large format printer on craigslist for $2500, and bought a US Cutter brand vinyl cutter for just over $500, so for $3000 I got a small business started. Then about a thousand more for other supplies like vinyl, ink, tools, and so on.

Believe it or not, with $5000, you can get a pretty nice setup going. You just have to be patient and REALLY watch for good deals on used printers. MAKE SURE that the printer uses UV inks, so you can print outdoor stuff, as well as indoor stuff. If you're going to be doing things like vehicle wraps, you'll need a laminator..... which are usually more expensive than the printer and the vinyl cutter... which sucks.

Contrary to what the others told you, you can find pretty good used wide-format inkjet printers (look for a used HP brand inkjet) for a few thousand dollars, then buy a vinyl cutter/plotter that has the "contour cutting" feature like the ones on this website. The US Cutter brand has a couple models with the contour cutting feature, for very decent prices.

I found a really nice used HP large format printer on craigslist for $2500, and bought a US Cutter brand vinyl cutter for just over $500, so for $3000 I got a small business started. Then about a thousand more for other supplies like vinyl, ink, tools, and so on.

Believe it or not, with $5000, you can get a pretty nice setup going. You just have to be patient and REALLY watch for good deals on used printers. MAKE SURE that the printer uses UV inks, so you can print outdoor stuff, as well as indoor stuff. If you're going to be doing things like vehicle wraps, you'll need a laminator..... which are usually more expensive than the printer and the vinyl cutter... which sucks.

Which HP printers use or can be converted to use eco-solvent inks?  Without converting to solvent (or eco) inks, you'll be stuck buying ultra-expensive inkjet vinyl (also very limited on material options) and it will absolutely have to be laminated for any outdoor use.  I don't know of any inkjet-capable banner material.

VV, If you are serious about doing digital printing and wraps, keep saving cash until you can find a good used printer/cutter.  The time you will save will pay for the extra cost in no time.

also interested in which hp printers except the new latex that will print on banner material :(?B)?;D?:(? or outdoor vinyl?:huh:???

Do they even make waterbased vinyl that's suitable for vehicle wrap?

the sample i just got is thicker than standard vinyl so i dont think it will conform properly, especially after over laminate or roll on sealer

Check out this place

http://solventprinterconversion.com/

I know another member of this forum (beside myself) who bought his printer from place above.

Give them a call and tell them what you are looking for, they will be able to help you out.

Good luck.

PS

Do not spend money on HP or some small printers (30" or so ) because you will grow out of it before you know it.