paz21paz

Any advice just got laid off gona try full time signs?

I just got laid off today. Maybe a blessing in the long run. I'm in a small town Ive been doing a lot of trucks lately & hope I can make a go of it full time. Anyone have any advice for changing from part time to full time? I'm thinking of doing some ebay stuff, doing some wall art for my wife to maybe have a party with, I'm in the works of getting a website up & going. I have it setup as a legit business already so I don't have to do that. Anything that could help would be appreciated, hopefully this can work out for me & my family.

good luck - ebay is tough as you need something totally unique that 10000 other people aren't already doing.  doing good work and word of mouth is great but going full time I would go around town and pass out lots of business cards.  Don't get caught doing the copyrighted stuff as that will end the gig quick and will loose  everything .. . think about a LLC

Many other pros that have more experience will jump in I'm sure

good luck again

Do it. You've got nothing to lose. Going door to door to other businesses selling your services, and doing cold calling can really pay off. One happy customer will result in return business, and good word of mouth advertising for you to gain other clients.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!

That is exactly how I start.

Got laid off and start doing this full time.

First I got business cards and few hundred fliers.

Every day I was going to different shopping centers and and talk to business owners.

Also, even when I go to store for groceries I put some fliers behind windshield wipers on my way to the entrance.

Yard signs work great for me (on busy intersections , stop lights etc)

Lettering on my vehicle brought me some business also.

And most important "WORD OF MOUTH"

I would say 65% of my business now are returning customers and referrals.

Keep one thing in mind, every beginning is tough  , so do not give up.

BTW

Few month ago I was called back to work but I said NO.

I love it this way.

Still have a lot of learning to do but.....

Good luck

D.

T-Shirts. If you can swing a heat press, GREAT!, if not get someone to make you some. Enough that you never go out of your house with out a shirt advertising your business. Plus, if you've got your own press, your shirts will pay for part of it, plus then you can make shirts for others. But, never be seen out in public without your biz t-shirt on. And you can get a few nicer ones made for stepping out at night ,and such.

Always have biz cards with you. Give one to everyone you talk to.

Thanks everyone I really feel like I can make this work. I do have a heat press that is a great idea about making my own shirts never thought about that. Keep the ideas coming I'm sure there are some others reading this thread going through the same thing.

The Tshirts is a cheap and very effective way to advertise! I have made my own up so I have about 10 shirts that is all I wear anymore.

I even made some for family members to wear out and gave them stacks of cards.

I even had 3 hats embroidered with my business information so that I can have a little extra advertisement

I read somewhere or maybe it was Youtube, but there was some guy back in the late 80's early 90's that had one of those spacecab pickup trucks with the passenger seat facing rear in it, he had a computer and a cutter on board, all his stuff was in the back of the truck under a cover, and he would go around and find places that were opening up or had no signage, walk in and introduce himself, and offer to make them a sample sign free of charge, go back out to the truck and cut a small version of it, apply it to a coroplast and walk back in & 90% of the time he got an order right away. 

Im not saying DO THAT but as far as marketing goes, thats a pretty slick way of getting the message across. Cards & flyers are great but once you leave they forget where they put it, etc etc.....

I'm working on getting my website up & going now to atleast get my work on there so customers can see what I can do for them.

I read somewhere or maybe it was Youtube, but there was some guy back in the late 80's early 90's that had one of those spacecab pickup trucks with the passenger seat facing rear in it, he had a computer and a cutter on board, all his stuff was in the back of the truck under a cover, and he would go around and find places that were opening up or had no signage, walk in and introduce himself, and offer to make them a sample sign free of charge, go back out to the truck and cut a small version of it, apply it to a coroplast and walk back in & 90% of the time he got an order right away. 

Im not saying DO THAT but as far as marketing goes, thats a pretty slick way of getting the message across. Cards & flyers are great but once you leave they forget where they put it, etc etc.....

I have been pondering doing that for my van. I do a lot of race car stuff, and it would be nice to do some right at the track. It would also be nice to have the cutter with me when I go to a customers house and mess something up.

I've made a few free coroplast signs myself.....and one site where there are always a bunch of trucks has already paid for the coro sign in new biz. (I did tell the folks who I made the coro sign for here's a free sign and some of my cards....and if anyone asks about pricing, tell them ya don't know as the sign was a favor.)

Good luck and don't undervalue your work!