JoeDirt

compressor for sand blasting

Im lost but I think I am getting closer lol

I need a compressor that does 8.5 cfm @ 90 psi

how much down time is there when your blasting a project? How long does it take to do some projects.

any input would be awesome!

Thanks!

The compressors are never big enough - better with a pressure feed system but they still use a lot of air.  I think maybe with one of those the road crew uses you wouldn't have the wait time

i also do automotive repairs and paint cars. If you get a compressor there are a few things to ask

1) how often will you use it?

2) Are you doing this full time?

3) what kind of sand are you using?

4) you doing this in a closed system?

The brand i use is Craftsman. i have 2 tanks

the 1st one is 6hp 33gal oiless system. this is used when i paint cars. the oiless system will not put any oil through the lines ie. claener air

the 2nd is a Ingersoll-Rand 60 gal. Industrial Air Compressor, Vertical Tank, 5 hp, 2 Stage Pump. this i use on all of my tools and long use tools.

with the oillube system the oil sometimes blows into the lines. Not to good withdoing things that need to stay dry or oil free. like painting cars or sand. what ever you chose make sure you get a good inline air/water seperator.

if you get a big tank run a short hose to the wall. usawally 1/2 inside diameter or larger. then run 1/2" or 3/4" copper pipe to your sand blasting box. when you run the copper pipe to the machine you need to figure every 8' of pipe need a 1" drope.  so if you run a 32' run it needs 5" drope from the start point to the end point. where ever the out put of a air hook up is at point it up or at a 45 degree anlge.  that way any moisture will not go into the equiptment it stays in the line.

At the end of the run put a T connector. the up is for the connector. the down is for a pipe that goes almost to the floor with a ball valve. the ball valve is for when it gets moisture in the line it will run down to the end and collect in the down tube with the ball vavle. easy way to drain the lines.

If you run asmall compressor do the same thing. the reson is that with the copper pipe that size you store more air and helps with the moisture as well. I have helped build one of these at the shop my old boss built.

Just a few helpfull hints.

sorry for the long explanation

Soul Reaper           

Great advice from SR above.

JD, you probably don't NEED 8.5 CFM @ 90psi, that is the requirement to run your blaster 100% of the time.  Thats a pretty damn big compressor.  I use a 17 gallon Craftsman that puts out 3.3CFM @ 90 psi, and I can get by doing glass etching no problem, because there is stop time to look at the glass, etc.  I let the compressor run until it is full (~120psi), then start blasting.  I usually blast at around 50psi, and rarely have I had to stop to let the compressor catch up.  This is mainly due to the fact that I am doing smaller (4x6 or so) etchings on glasses, so, by the time I am done with one, I have to take it out and get another one, which gives the compressor some time to catch up.

However, if you are doing carving on stone or ceramic tiles (which take a LOT of blasting) or deep carving on glass, you will probably be blasting for a much longer duration, and you may need the add'l CFM.

Another thing to keep in mind is that oilless compressors are MUCH louder than standard compressors.  Nowadays, oilless are almost all you can buy unless you spend big bucks, but if I could go back, I'd buy a standard compressor and get a good inline separator to deal with the oil, which isn't really much of an issue with blasting anyway.

hey thanks all!  I really need to get something going its the last item I need to purchase besides some glass to practice on

This is the blaster actually I only need 8 cfm @ 75psi

http://www.glastar.com/catalog/sandblasting/OS-7.cfm

I think I am going to buy one today I hope I do well

I was looking at this one

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/air-compressors-air-tools-accessories/air-compressors/ingersoll-rand-60-gallon-air-compressor-3496111

also home depot has this one

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Air-Compressors-Tools-Accessories-Stationary-Compressors/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zbb2r/R-202043183/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

any thoughts???

Thanks

I bought a Kobal from Lowe's.  11.5 cfm 60 gallon tank.  Only $399.  So far I haven't run out of air doing a project.

I like that, don't see it for 399 but I am going to go there.

Thanks!

I ordered mine online and picked it up at the local store.  I don't see it on the website today, but there is a comparable one.  I also saw the EXACT same compressor with a different label at my local Farm & Fleet store - about $450

http://www.lowes.com/pd_221565-14989-LLA3706056_0_?productId=3115863&Ntt=kobalt%20compressor&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=kobalt%20compressor$y=4$x=31

Here it is.  $439

I checked lots of reviews.  This one was favorable.  I read lots and lots of bad reviews on the Craftsman compressors.  Not the smaller ones, but the larger ones like you're looking at.  Personally, I own 3-4 small craftsman compressors.  This bigger ones have a lot of problems with the pumps.  Heavy usage they only last about a year.

I've been very happy with this Kobalt.  No too loud.  Plenty of air!

that is pretty slick. so you are going to do on site design. that it going to be sweet i dont think anyone here in my state does that.  :D

Guest crshirts

Best to get a pressure pot, I have had mine for 25 + years,

Made by Tip is a low pressure unit that you can blast with as

little as 20 psi and a nice cabinet.

Carl

Pressure pot is going to do a best use of your air, no doubts about it.

And if you spend the money once to get the right blasting media you won't even need a lot of pressure, I spend $100 in a case of 25lbs (?) of Aluminum Oxide 220 grit, really fine stuff, but less risks to blow your mask and all. I use regular vinyl to mask my pieces, is not the best for small detail but I don't do any money (yet) from this so is ok for now.

Washout films, light sensitive film and stuff like that is the way to go to tackle any kind of jobs but it requires other kind of equipment to go with it.

Best of luck and get a cabinet, pressure pot and the best compressor you can afford, and then just practice, practice and practice some more.

:D

thanks again for all the info!!!!

I already have the on site blaster I bought it used from a glass company for 200.00 it is already set up for blasting shower enclosures. so it will work for other glass too!

I seen the washout films those are simply amazing so that will be the next purchase. Alot easier than weeding...for glasses and fine detail.

anyways I went to Lowes yesterday ( hour drive) with my van only to see that the compressor is fully assembled and you can't lay it down. So I borrowed a buddys truck and going to get it this morning :D

Should be blasting this afternoon  YEAH!!!!

and to boot have an opportunity to quote on my first sign, it's glass, 3/8" thick 36" x 84" with a simple text and logo blasted on the back ( so reverse ) looks like the design is about 12" H x maybe 5 feet I get the pdf today just saw a scan of the details.

take your time thats what you said,  lol I didn't

got it all hooked up, broke it in, and blasted

didn't wash glass, part of a cornhole design I had laying around stuck what stuck (no tooth) this is a old end table piece of glass.

but no blow outs nice clean lines I think.

ran the vinyl after wards under hot water peeled right off, very quick.

i'm happy now I have to get shit to blast.

Thanks for all the helpful tips!!!!

post-3171-12986550206923_thumb.jpg

post-3171-12986550221639_thumb.jpg

Little known fact I uncovered during my research. The Kobalt is a house brand made by Husky so they are actually the same compressor. I just picked up the Husky 3.2 singe stage just because it was a little cheaper and they had a complete one in stock.