select7

Need help vectorizing cleanly. Please teach me how!

I am trying to convert this jpg into a vector file but cant seem to do so cleanly. I open it up in AI and use the live trace function as I was taught on here by another member and even though I am playing around with the options, I cannot seem to make it clean.

Can someone convert this for me and also teach me how? Thanks in advance guys! Thank God for this forum.

bodywerksexample2.jpg

No such thing,any time a trace is done there is a fair amount of clean up to do,

no matter what program is used.

mark-s

Mark-s is right, when using autotracers, you will always have to tweak around with whatever vector you get from it....

Best is to re-draw by hand, either match the font or if it's custom lettering, then re-draw them as well.... Give me a shout if you need it re-drawn..... This simple logo falls under my basic rate. If you want to do it by hand yourself, help you get started the font used for the phone # is 'Babylon".....

You can't always rely on Vectormagic or any other autotracer software. GIGO, garbage in... garbage out...

Take a look at the attached picture.... there is a big difference....

post-6291-12986550002147_thumb.jpg

post-6291-12986550019724_thumb.jpg

I've got the vectorizing okay, but was wondering if there is a shortcut to creating the outlying black area.  I've tried using the inset path and shadows, but neither is all that effective.  Is it just a matter of reworking?

For the black, depending on which software you use... The feature is called "Contour" or "Offset"....

You can't always rely on Vectormagic or any other autotracer software. GIGO, garbage in... garbage out...

Take a look at the attached picture.... there is a big difference....

very true, but if I had to pay someone to vectorize my stuff,instead of learning to do it myself, I'd go broke fast.

BannerJohn,

What is your expectations on the cost for vectoring? My basic rate is $9.00 for an hours work.

There's nothing wrong in doing it yourself, all the power to ya. I was only trying to offer to folks who really have no idea that there is someone like me that they can work with to get the job done.

I work with alot of small & large shops that simply don't have time to sit in front of the computer to draw up a logo. They'd rather be cutting and installing signs. They're able to hit the pavement with both feet landing them jobs, even if they are relatively new in the business~!

$9 an hour? You sell yourself too cheap. I get $30-$40 an hour for sticking it on a substrate. They guy who cuts my grass gets more than $9 an hour.

If you want to advertise your services, fine. Do it in the proper place. Not every time someone asks for help. This forum isn't meant for people to troll for business. There is a thread called 'buy,sell,trade'.

drakesis, you offer a good service at a great price for those that need it but you want to do it in an acceptable manner and not appear to be spamming or trolling.  the way you have been doing it comes across as a scam artist - from what I see that does not appear to be the case. Image is everything in this business.  We are trying to advise how to keep doing the job you want to do and in a way that is up front - even put it in your sig line that you offer vectorizing service like the printers do and you will have people beating down your door.  If it appears back handed or like you are hiding something it will go the other way

vectormagic want allways work but it can help and they handdraw to but your prices are not to bad there drakasis.i still can't handdraw good at all . have not even made or sold anything in about 6 or more months . i have went all the way back to hobby/ in the closet.