Sign in to follow this  
Guest Terry

All Time VIRUS King

Guest Terry

I must have the download virus record for the past three months. I do nothing wrong, I search for graphics, click on them and BANG!!!! VIRUS instant!!!! LOL  I ran 17 anti virus programs from a external drive I have with anti programs, now I am down to running my last three freebie programs. Kind of cool though - I have yet to lose a fight with the hackers virus crap, but what a pain.

post-0-12986549890332_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986549904144_thumb.jpg

Guest fivestar

I once worked on a customer's computer that had 5912 virus' on it.  That's the record I have ever seen in person.  Those was virus' not spyware/malware, I can't remember how many of those there was.

Guest Terry

Fivestar....... Your favorite malwarebytes freebie got it done..........

Here is the link it worked perfect, save info or atleast download the ROOTKILL file. It kills everything running in background if you can not get to MSCONFIG to shut things down. It kills it and allows you to run your anti programs, I ran 21 of them to be sure I got it. Read info, you need to kill LAN settings in explorer, I then downloaded stuff with Mozilla Firefox.

WORKED LIKE A DREAM............... I remember you saying something about Malwarebytes, but it would not run without the ROOTKILL file first to shut down the virus that was running. Here is info below for rootkill file.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-malware-defense

Guest fivestar

Yes malwarebytes is an excellent program and it's FREE.  Terry I use combofix (USE WITH CAUTION) to get rid of most stuff first.  I run it while in "safe mode with networking" then I run malwarebytes.  Glad to see you're back up and running properly.

Guest Terry

Yes malwarebytes is an excellent program and it's FREE.  Terry I use combofix (USE WITH CAUTION) to get rid of most stuff first.  I run it while in "safe mode with networking" then I run malwarebytes.  Glad to see you're back up and running properly.

I have a registry program I also use ( with caution ) I found the hyjacks and deleted them from registry, but if you delete anything wrong... YOU ARE SCREWED.......... Even after I pull the virus out, I go for another two to three hours doing other things ya know?;D Just getting rid of the virus is not enough like most people think that it's ok now - NOT TRUE........ It would take hours telling you everything else I do after, buy I know YOU!!!! know that so no need to explain the rest of the work.

Guest fivestar

I have a registry program I also use ( with caution ) I found the hyjacks and deleted them from registry, but if you delete anything wrong... YOU ARE SCREWED.......... Even after I pull the virus out, I go for another two to three hours doing other things ya know?;D Just getting rid of the virus is not enough like most people think that it's ok now - NOT TRUE........ It would take hours telling you everything else I do after, buy I know YOU!!!! know that so no need to explain the rest of the work.

;D Oh how well I know, those damn things leave traces everywhere.  I raised my prices for virus removal because they are getting so hard to get everything off, it takes FOREVER and a day to go through everything.

the only way you can be 100% sure that you are virus free is to wipe the drive and start over.

The last virus I got was in 1997. That was shortly before I started using Opera as my browser.

I generally use MWB or SuperAntiVirus, if that doesn't work, Combofix almost ALWAYS works.  If it dies while running Combofix, you were probably doomed to wipe and re-install anyway.

My daughter has gotten 2 virus' that caused pop ups, etc .... and I know for a fact, she isn't going anywhere she shouldn't.....WTH?

Is she using IE with a non updated version of adobe flash?  Thats the #1 culprit we have seen in our repair shop for drive by viruses.

Guest fivestar

My Space and Facebook have become breeding grounds for virus' too.

Thanks for information about Adobe Flash, I'll have to go check that out tonight.

Five, she uses FB alot!!!  ;D

Guest Terry

I generally use MWB or SuperAntiVirus, if that doesn't work, Combofix almost ALWAYS works.  If it dies while running Combofix, you were probably doomed to wipe and re-install anyway.

Thanks, never knew of that program. This seems to be the secure site, I use it alot.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Guest Terry

There is NO one program that will protect you as far as I'm concerned. I use about 13+ programs, and even then I go in by hand to clean up any trails buried in system32. I have had a virus even lock in to a jpeg before.

Guest fivestar

These little boogers are getting harder to get rid of without a complete format.  Hiren's boot cd is a great cd to have on hand too.  I use it daily on machines I repair.

Guest Terry

I have that CD also Dave. I have the version 8.5

Guest manwayvan

Hey anybody use antivir? I do alot of repair also and it seems like a pretty great free antivirus..But ya gotta take any antivirus with caution..It's all one big conspiracy..lol I use to do some viri programming in assembly back in the day when 95 and 98 were big..Have gotten out of alot of it and not kept up much with xp,vista and now 7. You really have to watch out for the BHO's and activex loaders..Those are a pain..

Fresh format c: here!! Still getting everything reloaded  :thumbsup: Much faster and not hanging so much  B)

Fresh format c: here!! Still getting everything reloaded  :thumbsup: Much faster and not hanging so much  B)

Always feels better after a fresh reload!

i'm not wanting this to get into a OS war and i'm not trying to say that one is better than the other.

but we use Linux - and its not 100% immune to a virus but there is fewer viruses out there that will run in Linux so much fewer that I don't know a single Linux user that even runs a program to protect against viruses. we don't and haven't had a problem - one computer has has Linux on for a year now and always online with it - no viruses -- I saw some place a virus count for windows was about 400,000 and growing everyday and Linux is in the hundreds.

there is allot of different reasons why Linux has almost no viruses - first thing is 1% of all PCs run Linux there is no market for viruses

another is the way the OS manages its programs security

but we do loose some also - programs we cant run flexi -SB or any of the other cutting software made for windows but there is a program that a guy made i have been trying to help out with - and it will cut from inkscape - corel draw - adobe - or any thing else that will make a *.ps or *.pdf - it doesnt need eps or svg file - and we like it better than flexi

we can run AI 10 and coral 9 but that is the only ones that will work directly in Linux

Guest manwayvan

run a windows emulator on linux

i have tried that - i have tried 3 diffrent ones but they all have problems with usb sharing between the home OS and the Guest OS - i guess if ya messed with it that would work but you would still get viruses in the windows -- most run a full windows install - now WINE doesnt run a windows OS it just fakes out the programs and it thinks windows is there - but it doesnt work on all programs depends on what windows dependencies its looking for and if its not there then it will not work