Sign in to follow this  
uscutterboy

Pricing help for 1000 vinyl stickers

Hello friends ! This is my first post, and must say that I am a big fan of this site. Question, I have an order for 1000 vinyl stickers about the size of 2 business cards with only writing. There is 14 thousand pieces to pull out ( the middle of A's, Os's etc. ). They offered me the job paying $ 275    is that a good price ? Thank you for any replies

Thank you for the response. when you get into levels of mass production of vinyl stickers, say 1000 what would be the lowest price per sq. foot that is profitable and worth the effort ? Its not the printing that is the issue, but pulling out all of those little pieces. Thanks from the Outer Banks

There's really no set price for vinyl... a lot of it depends on how complex the design is... I charge $40-45/hr for labor, and that's considered pretty low for California...

A useful tool to get you in the ball park would be using Sign Expert's calculator:

http://www.thesignexpert.com/TheSignExpert.com/Sign_Business_Free_RTA_Vinyl_Price_Calculator.html

If I were to do 1000 of them, I'd probably have them printed. If the customer insists on die cuts, they know they're paying a lot more for them... if it's a repeat customer, base on your description, I'd might go as low as $0.70 per sticker.

Thank you, that site is a blessing.  I hope I can pick your brain for a few more questions  ? When you mention 45 an hour, is that in addition to the sticker price, like graphic design time ? Sending thanks to the west coast

some people use the $45 a hour for design and labor rates. Some people will charge more for their artistic time.

Wow, I am very new at the game, but have been selling myself very short. This information has been priceless in my learning of this art. I can not thank you enough    A+ on this site

Welcome aboard - you really have to watch for people trying to lowball you like that.  funny thing is after you turn down the job at the ridiculous price they come back later without the crazy price expectation.  I had someone last year want me to do 100 busy t-shirts in vinyl for 6.00 each . . .yeh right - but they have been back many times for sublimation and signage

well the problem has arisen that I allready promised him that I would do them for that price about two weeks ago.  1000 for 275.  I would like to get out of it. He is a personal friend......  any suggestions please

ouch that sucks, tell him the cost of the vinyl is going to be more than you thought so you are going to have to charge him more for that amount or lower the amount you can make for that price

that is what we call a learning experience . . . and one you will remember for a long time

ouch that sucks, tell him the cost of the vinyl is going to be more than you thought so you are going to have to charge him more for that amount or lower the amount you can make for that price

Honestly there is a easy solution.

All you need to do is either A) explain you were doing your numbers on the job and i'm going to lose money doing them for $275, i'm going to have to charge you $xx.xx or ;D pass on the job, if the mentions he can get them from X for $275 then let him. You will only lose on this job if you let yourself. You are in control  ;D

I will tell you how I figure bulk pricing.

Cut 10 of them......time yourself on weeding them and taping them.  This is going to give you a ballpark of how many you can do an hour.  Most of the time the cutter can cut faster than you can weed and tape.  Then you figure how much you are going to use in materials, add that to how much you want to make per hour doing the work, and you can figure out what to charge them per decal.

Most of the time I come to around $.75 each is as low as I can go and be happy with the dollars per hour I am making.  Alot of that depends on the weeding though, if its all letters that going to be a doozey especially if there are alot of pickers.  You have to remember to fiigure in taxes and wear and tear on your machine in your hourly rate too, sure $20 an hour when working for someone else with benefits aint bad, but thats not very much money when you are working for yourself, paying for your own insurance, high self business taxes, and everything else.

Good luck, if you get stuck doing them for that I would say thats a lesson you will remember. 

Guest manwayvan

...I allready promised him...  1000 for 275. ... He is a personal friend...

If he is a real friend he will understand. Show him how to weed.

Very true, the main thing to not get into is cutting your prices based on personal. I have done it before but after I sit back and look at how much money and time I have invested doing this stuff I cannot just give it away because they are my friend. Also if you set a ground basis that you are giving them stuff at a discount or just giving it away then that mentality is always there when they come back wanting more stuff for free.

man! even if it was 1000 plain circles, i wouldn't do it for that price! like said before, maybe .75 or so. really depends on the complexity of the design and how hard it is to weed.  :thumbsup:

You could get him to do the weeding, tell him only the print is for that price and the app tape.  If he wants to pay that price he has to weed it.

I have been in business for 13 years. The one thing I learned very early on. NEVER let your customer dictate the price.

Not only your time and material but at some point you will have to replace your cutter blades, and even your cutter. Your computer costs and other costs that go along with running a business. I am fully insured and we have a small rent payment for my shop. All of these should be considered when pricing a job.