Sign in to follow this  
LightningRod

Newbie here with several questions!

I bought a USCutter used a couple weeks ago part of a package deal.  I have never used one before I came home plugged it in, downloaded signcut x2 for mac, (macbook DUO Core 4gigs) hooked it up with USB and it seemed to work.  I type my name as a test and cut a piece of vinyl I got with it after a couple of tries.  I thought this is wow this is cool, then the frustration started I was at a sign expo a couple of months ago and watched someone cut with another brand and they were loading vinyl at any position that was convenient when I tried to load a 6" piece in the middle of the "track" and "aligned" the laser it cut on the right hand side where there was no vinyl.  I do have the manuall and don't see where this is addressed.  So I moved on and tried contour cutting which is my main purpose for buying this after aligning the blade the cut was off by about 1/2" tried again and again I got it to cut correctly on about 2 out of 10 tries.  I have read several posts and have yet to find whether or not buying the USB to serial will solve this, a couple of post I read said if you can contour cut one piece correctly then it should work without problems, I think I also read it can cause intermitent problems sometimes works sometimes doesn't, which is it?  So if I align/calibrate within setup (I don't remember the exact menu item) should it save the configuration and stay aligned or do I need to do this with each cut?  Also I did not get a pen with this, is it necessary to calibrate with a pen? I used a cutter and it seemed to work.  Which brings me to the question Why does USCutter sell blades on eBay for $12.00 w/free shipping and $12.95 on their web site then charge $10 for shipping what is the dif?  I would like to buy a pen but $25 for a pen holder seems like a lot plus $10 for shipping I couldn't tell if a pen came with the holder or not and did not see a pen listed for sale.  What's the chance of getting USCutter to list a pen holder and pen on ebay at reduced price with free shipping?  Is there any chance of putting a piece of a pen in the knife holder has anyone done this?  That brings up another question I bought 3 cutter blades on eBay from USCutter and don't know how to install them because of the blade offset in the manual it describes how to adjust for the correct depth and pressure, but how do I know which way to turn the blade? I don't see any flat spot on the shaft and have no idea which direction the blade should point.

To recap my long winded essay :angry:

1. Do I need the USB to serial converter? my mac found the cutter right away and it does cut letters and sometimes contour cuts right on.

2. Do I have to load vinyl or conture cut a specific location?

3. Can I calibrate with a knife blade or do I have to have a pen?

a. once calibrated should it stay that way?

b. when I make one contour cut and it is spot on should I be able to turn mac on/off start/exit signcut x2 and save calibration without have to recalibrate?

4. What is the correct procedure for installing a cutting blade?

5. Can I buy a generic pen to use in the cutting blade socket?

6. If I buy a pen holder does it come with a pen?

7. Can I talk USCutter into listing a pen holder and pen on eBay with free shipping?

If you got all the way to here.....

Thanks so much for reading my post, and your comments.

Rod

most all of these questions can be answered right here on the forum..  Read the Newbie manual, Which is in the instructional thread.  and read the user manual for whichever cutter you purchased..  which is in UScutter support  http://support.uscutter.com/  As far as asking USCUTTER  to list other items,,  best to actually talk to  USCUTTER,,  www.USCUTTER.COM    All your questions can be searched by clicking HOME in the upperleft hand corner,  then SEARCH in upper right hand.  Everybody should do their homework first, And the Newbie Manual is just that.  Start to first cut..  So happy reading.

Except for making a test cut when I first got my cutters, I've never used the pen holder. Unless you think you might be doing some drawing with it, I wouldn't waste any money on it.

when you tried to do the cut in the middle of the cutter after you moved the cutter over to the spot did you push the origin button? you have to do that to set the new origin so that becomes its starting point.

if you really need the pen holder i would be more than happy to sell you mine for like $10 sicne i dont use it.

I love my pen, it works for trying out intricate designs o paper before I waste a bunch of vinyl. It is somewhere in my shop, I cannot tell you where at the moment but it IS in there. If someone could tell me where to locate it I would appreciate it. I have posted enough pics on here, maybe one of you can locate it in there. Sort of like the I-Spy games LOL.

It's a handy little tool to have none the less.

Kevin

Guest manwayvan

Sarcon check over there by the thing-a-ma-jig it is probably under the duma-flotch-it and ontop of the ID-10-T forms..lol

SPEEDOGGY PLEASE READ

Thank you so much for your replie Speedoggy, I posted on here looking for help, not because I wanted to be told I'm stupid If only we could all be as smart as you there would be no need for this board.  Thanks for the suggestion of talking to USCutter you are brilliant wish I could have thought of that (guess I'm just too stupid) or just maybe while searching for answers I noticed that several USCutter employees and managment read this board (apparently you didn't know this). If you had read and understood my post I stated that I had searched and not found the answers, I have found a few conflicting answers but none to the point.

THANKS FOR WAISTING MY TIME READING YOUR DRIBBLE

SPEEDOGGY PLEASE READ

Thank you so much for your replie Speedoggy, I posted on here looking for help, not because I wanted to be told I'm stupid If only we could all be as smart as you there would be no need for this board.  Thanks for the suggestion of talking to USCutter you are brilliant wish I could have thought of that (guess I'm just too stupid) or just maybe while searching for answers I noticed that several USCutter employees and managment read this board (apparently you didn't know this). If you had read and understood my post I stated that I had searched and not found the answers, I have found a few conflicting answers but none to the point.

THANKS FOR WAISTING MY TIME READING YOUR DRIBBLE

hmmm thats not gonna get you anywhere, speedoggy wasnt being rude and was actually being very helpful. she told you to search because your answers have been asked a dozen times over and it is because people dont search that half the threads on the board become repeats.

sorry to say but after that post i think you will find it very difficult to get anyone to want to respond to any of your questions

Oh well! I have already searched and searched that is why I asked the questions because I had no luck searching and if the only response I get is to search what is the point?  I stated at the begining that I had searched and had no luck finding answers so the answer I get is to search gee thanks!

Lightningrod you will catch more flies with honey . . . .

try this post to start

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,17489.0.html

If you are cutting fine changing your connection to another type has no advantage

the blade is a drag knife design so it self aligns as it is cutting

You didn't state which cutter you have but I will guess since you are trying to contour cut you have a laserpoint - there is a special forum child thread that is all about the laserpoint that would be a good place to go after reading the file link above

Keep positive and good luck - remember you must walk before you can run.

Thank you Dakota for the link and the explanation of how the knife works!  Yes it is a laserpoint I meant to include that in my post (thought I had)

I apologize to all, and totally agree with with the Honey/Vinegar cliche.  In my defense, I am a high school drop out Dyslexic and ADHD, luckily I have found success as a carpenter enabling me to have a rewarding hobby, typing that post was quite difficult for me it took a lot more time and effort than it would for most of you.  I spent almost 3 hours searching and browsing prior to posting (something I didn't look forward to), once I decided it was necessary I tried to make it clear that I had already searched and was already frustrated, only to have someone very sarcastically suggest that I type my questions in the little box in the corner, insinuating I had the intelligence/experience of a 3 year old.  I have been posting on bulletin boards since 1987, starting with a local BBS with international repeaters,  I have been "using" the internet since 1988 utilizing free local access through MSU (GO SPARTANS) back when the most popular search engines were Archie and Veronica, something to do with a school in MN and a popular cartoon of the 60's.  I took my time typing that post thinking it might not only help me but also others that were just getting started and had no luck searching.  Speedoggy's reply was of no use to me or anyone else it was nothing more than a rude/arrogant insult and I lost my temper.

I apologize

Rod

P.S.

Anyone else remember Archie!