Sign in to follow this  
mod22

new guy questions

I was looking at the copam 35 inch cutter but now it is not there anybody know why? I am going to be doing a couple dirt modifieds and want to do some stickers and signs and if things grow I want to be prepared with a good cutter. Does anyone have suggestions on good software to

use for design and cutting,I have already downloaded inkscape and signblazer to get started i just didn't know if something else was quicker and easier . Thanks for any help I have been lurking here for only a few days and already learned a ton with alot of learning to go.

Call us cutter and ask  all i have ever seen was a 24 and a 48 inch maybe another brand? They are very helpful at us cutter. Sign blazer should do about any thing you would want to do there are other software out there that run from a few hundred to a few thousand so if a free program will do what you need why pay for something different .

Dan

They are showing a 42 inch copam now but it is 200 more than the 35 inch , wondering if they discontinued the 35 inch or if they take it off when they are out of stock. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies , hopefully they come back in stock soon . Is the copam my best option for a 30+ inch cutter in the $1000 range and if they don't get those back in what should be my next choice ? Thanks again for any help.

I had never seen the 30" = that is an unusual size.  they have a 42" that is a little more that you are looking to spend.  you would have to drop back to a refine to get in your price range.  I had a 50" cutter for a year and only used it for things over 24" twice - so I sold it and bought 24" machines since then.  you might keep an eye on craigslist but then you are buying used and have to watch what you buy!

I printed off the paper when it was in stock or available  it is model # cp-3050 35''  for right at $1000 I already have a race car trailer to do that the number is bigger than 24'' I could tile it but he really wants it one piece . Is the copam really that much better than the refine for the price diff.

call US Cutter on Monday. They sometimes pull the listing when stock is LOW and may still have a few. Worth a shot,anyway.

And to answer your question..yes, the Copam is a much better unit than the Refine.

Guest manwayvan
:thumbsup: for a copam. Not that I have any experience with it but from all of the reading I have done they are far superior units to the value cutters. Since you are new to this then their is going to be a large learning curve getting to the point of your first cut. You can elevate alot of headaches getting the professional cutter now. Tracking is a huge issue with the value cutters if you are looking at doing larger runs which it sounds like you will be.

Thanks for the help dakota and others it looks like I am going with either the copam 42" or the 24" the 35" is out of stock for 4 to 6 weeks per USCUTTER .My order is going to look like this   

42" copam cutter

extra set of blades

app. tape 6" 12" 24"    (Is one kind better than the other?)

greenstar 12 roll starter kit  (is this vinyl ok to start with ?)

Not sure on knifes for weeding and squeegees are any better than others ?         

Sorry about all the questions but I feel I need all the info I can get to make good decisions and Im sure all the guys and girls here have had all these questions at one time or another and I feel I can get good answers here .                                                       

I have not used the Greenstar vinyl, but I can tell you to avoid cheap vinyl, you will save your self tons of troubles. By good name brand quality vinyl, it weeds easier, Applies easier, and has longer durability. Oracal is what I use, other good brands include FDC, Avery(depends on who you talk to), 3m, and several others.

Your better off spending $50 - 75 on two or 3 good rolls of vinyl that you will use than $150 on 12 rolls you probably won't. I made the mistake of thinking I would waste a tons of vinyl learning how things work, you don't really waste that much, unless you trying to cut 8' banners on your first try, which wouldn't be real bright anyway :-)

If I were you I would get Some White, Black and whatever colors you need for that stock car in 10yd rolls of Oracal 651, then you will be able to do signs with the white and black too. 10 yds isn't that much believe me.

Kevin

skip the extra oem blades and order a couple of cleancut blades from the get go.

+1 on oracal and if you want something to learn on get a couple of rolls from Adam at stickerman5000 on ebay - most of his cheaper stuff is FDC and works great and you can't go wrong for the price - multiple rolls greatly reduces shipping from him!