Sign in to follow this  
Slipperhead

New Cutter Purchase Advice

I'm a hobby guy that wants to cut vinyl for myself and friends.  Plain vinyl.  Letters up to 12" tall.  I'd like to be able to use rolls of vinyl, sheets and scraps.

I'd like software that lets me select and scale fonts.  That's about all I know to tell you at this point. 

I have found already that these cutters can be used for a LOT of other things!  Maybe some teeshirts or sweatshirts in the future!!!

Any recommendations on new, used or reconditioned equipment?  Tabletop is fine. 

Thanks in advance!

Garland

Midlothian, VA

on the software, no worries, its all right here and free.

inkscape and signblazer should be all you need. especially if your sticking to text. i have photoshop 7 that i use to make images to cut, but thats not necessary for text. also not necessary if you plan on using premade graphics and eps files.

software here free and the cutters will all work - you don't really want  to start with a cutter that has had a lot of hours on it and in doing so inherit someone else's problems.  If it is a current model graphtec or refine I  would buy used but would steer clear of lesser units unless you can see the unit work and confirm it is not heavily used.  copam is a great starter unit if you can swing it!

Copam is probably MUCH more than I want to spend!  I see USCutter has a "value cutters" section where they recommend cutters probably for a guy like me. 

The 24" PCUT and the 24" Laserpoint look good and can both be had for less than $250 from USCUTTER on the auction site.

I'm learning a LOT about cutting from this site!  Looks like the Laserpoint will "contour cut".  Are there many differences between the two as far as capability?

Will both of these units take rolls, sheets and scraps?

Thanks in advance!

Garland