Guest fivestar

Family Website

Guest fivestar

I was wondering if anyone runs a family website?  The kind where all your family members throughout the country/world can post upcoming events and just "keep in touch".  I've been kicking this idea around for a few yrs now and think I am finally ready to do it, but honestly I don't know exactly how to go about it.  I want to keep it as cheap as possible, I get my web hosting for free so there's no need in that, but I need some kind of forum software or something that members can post.

Anyone got any ideas or a website they currently have running like this?

Guest fivestar

I don't like the facebook way, I want it to be more "personal".  I know a lot of my family is on facebook or myspace or both but I think the way I am thinking of just makes it "feel" more personal.  Thanks for the idea though John.

I'm not into facebook and my space etc... but can't you password protect your site or make it totally private to only whom you want to let view it and add content?

Guest fivestar

I'm not into facebook and my space etc... but can't you password protect your site or make it totally private to only whom you want to let view it and add content?

I'm sure you can, I'm not into those site either.  Maybe I'm thinking wrong but I just want a site where family members can come and post their upcoming event or whatever and read up on what's going on with other family members.  I was also thinking of a family tree type part of the site with the ability to add pictures and video where distant family members can actually "see" their cousins that they've never met in person.

I've got the "image" in my head, now if I can just get it onto a website.  :thumbsup::huh::thumbsup:

We created a Yahoo Group that is private except to family members. You can post pictures get birthday/anniversary reminders, send messages to the entire group.

Jay

Guest kenya

I use Facebook also for family notices & events.

But I know what you mean five, it's kinda impersonal.

It will be interesting to know if you find a certain site or even make one. :(

An online family tree that can be updated would be very cool.

I use www.forumotion.com for the forum that I run...It is all free..  My forum is at www.putnamcountyspeedway.biz if you want to check it out..

My sister in law uses something (sorry I only checked her pics out once a while back) and posts her vacation pics  and commentary. Not sure if it would allow you to go from one family member to another such as FB does?? I like Vette's idea of a family tree and/or the family crest as the logo. If I talk to my sister in law I'll ask what it is she uses. She does amazing things w photography.

www.google.com/sites

I just noticed myvinylsupplier moved to google sites so I googled google sites and this came up, they have a family site too!

Guest fivestar

Thanks Bob this may be exactly what I am needing.

You  can do a easy quick website though google just look up "google sites"

easy quick looks to good to be true!! I may even do one now :huh:

Keith