Sign in to follow this  
ryan8281

removing adhesive on plastic store front sign.

Well i have taken the heat gun and removed all the old vinyl on the sign. But of course it left the vinyl adhesive on there. Anybody have any suggestions on what i can use to remove it with without messing up the plastic?

Mineral spirits... try it on a corner first... goo gone tends to soften the plastic, it has zylene in it...

Larry C

Fellers are selling great product for vinyl removing .

It's  called vinyl off.

I've used on on of my last projects and it worked great.

i tried the vinyl off on it. that stuff pitted the plastic every place there was cracks in the vinyl. Luckly it was a practic peace. we tried brake cleaner just to see what it would do on the practice peace, it took the adhesive of great, so we thought lets just leave it on there alittle longer to see what happends, you know like what mith busters would do lol. Yep melted the plastic hehe. Well rubing alcohol takes it of prety good, but does take some elbo greese. Thanks all.

Try some denatured alcohol, it tends to work better than standard rubbing alcohol.

Next time, just replace the signface.... :thumbsup:

As name says it is for vinyl , so you should spray it only on vinyl , wait a few minutes and pill vinyl off. Vinyl off  brings elasticity to vinyl s it is easier to remove it in big pieces.

There is also another product for adhesive removing named "adhesive off"

I use alcohol a lot for cleaning surfaces and removing adhesive, but when I have big area to work with I'm using one of produts mentioned abov.

Good luck