Sign in to follow this  
ff-extreme

7 yr 5700 Oracal reflective pricing on a large job

My township is going to be replacing every street sign (hundreds of signs maybe more) and they have asked me for a price per sqft on the lettering. They are supplying there own blanks and putting the letters on. All I would do is cut, weed and paper each street name. The vinyl should cost approx 2.22 per sqft. if I get 24" x 50 yrd rolls. Anyone what to chime in on what I should be charging per sqft for such a big job? I know what I would charge if it were a few pieces but I'm not good at pricing the large quantities.

FF if you get an answer would you mind sharing? I'm in the same boat, but he would be sending me an ongoing order as needed for emergency vehicles. I've never had to do anything w reflective before so would appreciate any info. Thanks

I ran a quote in EstiMate for 12" x 12" with material cost of $2.22 - 100% markup on material and shop rate of $66 and production time of 4 minutes.  Came up to $8.66 a SQ-Ft  (See attached report.)

I haven't done anything in reflective material - understand it takes a toll on blades.  I didn't put in anything for design time - maybe you should add for that - maybe they will give you a file with the text already formatted for putting on the signs.

Take this for what it is intended - I haven't any experience and am just as uncertain what to charge as you are.  I look forward to others answers.

-mike

hardnumusc.TXT

hardnumusc.TXT

Thanks, I have done several jobs with reflective so I'm aware of the blade issue. Just not sure on the pricing for the large job. I appreciate your input and see what anyone else thinks so I have something to compare it to. I have to try estimate out one of these days

Street signs are 6" x 24" (most)....so that is 1 Sq foot.....so at 8.66 per sq ft.....you will need 2 sides for street signs......now we are at 17.32 per sign.......figure in a quanity discount, say 20%..........for 100 signs $1385.60........................just my thinking, I could be way off.

I hoped to see answers from someone on this too!

How about posting a new topic "Pricing street signage for my township, need advice."

Link to this post in that one and maybe it will spark some response.

-mike

or maybe a post  " 7 yr 5700 Oracal reflective pricing on a large job, ONLY SEASONED folks need respond".........besides MOST of the "seasoned" folks have quit helping or even posting, unless it is to complain. 

I knew that was coming, I did not intend to downplay your response. I do appreciate it I just wanted a few more to compare. Sorry if I offended!  ;D

No Harm No Foul.......I can see where I put the emphasize on SEASONED, whereas if you put it on MORE (meaning several) it makes sense.

Hanging my head in shame -- FBRsportmod68 you are certainly somebody - I just lumped you in with us puzzled guys when you said  it was "just my thinking I could be way off. "  I guess I should have said I was hoping for somebody who has done jobs like this to shed some light on the question.  I came across in a way i didn't intend --sorry for that.

-mike

I believe I'm gonna have a job like this this upcoming summer, as well. There are many large companies that ONLY do street signs, and they ONLY sell to townships. Look around, see what they're charging, undercut them a little bit, and ta-da.

Hanging my head in shame -- FBRsportmod68 you are certainly somebody - I just lumped you in with us puzzled guys when you said  it was "just my thinking I could be way off. "  I guess I should have said I was hoping for somebody who has done jobs like this to shed some light on the question.  I came across in a way i didn't intend --sorry for that.

-mike

No shame Mike, we had a pretty good posting war goin on for the 8 cd give away

David,

Glad we didn't get into a posting war over pricing street signs - too time consuming and it drains my brain cells of energy.

I remember you were underwhelmed by the content of the cds - did you find anything useful on them yet?

Back to the topic - I did a google search looking for companies selling street signs - and didn't find anything useful.

FF - if you get the job fill us in on what you quoted OK?

-Mike

David,

I remember you were underwhelmed by the content of the cds - did you find anything useful on them yet?

-Mike

Be truthful, I looked at em when I got em and havent looked again

I have a few townships as a customers and there are a few things that you have to remember when dealing with them.

For one thing, if they like you they will keep you. They are not as worried about pricing than most customers are mostly because they don't really have a boss to answer to. With that being said, I wouldn't over-charge too much on stuff because if they notice that your prices seem a little high they will check around on pricing.

Something that I have noticed is that they will not even ask for a quote when it comes to small jobs, they just call and say do it and bill us but so something like you are talking about I would bet they are getting pricing from multiple vendors.

My pricing for this job (keep in mind that I am in NJ) would be somewhere in the 13-15$ per sq ft range. You want to make the best profit that you can but still be competitive.

Also when you submit your quote do it in person if possible and let them know about the quality of the vinyl that you will be using for the job. You want them to be informed about this type of stuff.

I will also usually tell a township that there is a little wiggle room on the pricing if needed. By doing that you will get a call if someone under bid you and they will ask you if you can beat or match their price.

Make sure that you also give them a real but realistic turn around time for the job. Most of these places want the job yesterday even tho they will just let it sit there on their work bench for 3 weeks after they get it. They will sometimes choose speed over price but make sure that you can get it done in the time allotted.