Sign in to follow this  
EricDLS2003

Copam 2500 cutting through vinyl and backing

So I just got a new Copam 2500.  Went step by step through the user's manual.  I did my first tests and the blade cut through the vinyl and backing.  I tried various setting:

Speed is at 10cm's, Force is 50, and offset at .25.

I tried adjusting the blade to various heights and at one point put it where it was barely visible.  I'm placing the blade holding into the supporter and even trying different tensions from firm to completely loose.

What am I doing wrong?  Anybody?

It sounds like you have too much blade sticking out. Adjust it all the way in then adjust it about 1/8th turn each time until it just cuts through the vinyl and not into the backing paper.

I tried that as well.  Right now I have it at probably 1/32nd (visual guess).  Do you think it has anything to do with the tension screw on the blade supporter?

you should have just enough blade sticking out to go thru the vinyl and not the backing paper - back it out a little more (general rule of thumb for where to start is 1/2 thickness of a credit card) and maybe adjust your cutter to use less force.

Generally you want to reduce the amount of blade visible until a test cut does not even go all of the way through your vinyl and then increase it very slowly doing test cuts after each adjustment. Your pressure setting is at a reasonable level so I would leave it where it is.

Eric,

To see how the blade will cut make your adjustment and test by making a cut by hand.  Just hold the blade holder vertical and make a circle or square on a scrap of vinyl.  Weed your test cut - if the vinyl didn't cut all the way through adjust the blade a little outward - if the paper backing cut as well as the vinyl adjust it a little inward.  The thumb screw on the blade carriage should just be snug enough to keep the holder from being to ride up when pressed against the vinyl.  Make it snug, but don't go overboard. The only way I think it could be a factor is if you have it loose enough for the blade holder to wiggle around.  The blade swivels inside the blade holder - so it should not move at all in the carriage.

This should get you in the ballpark on blade adjustment.  Just eyeballing it isn't the best way to learn how to set the blade - you can see more or less of the blade depending on how you are holding it and the angle of the light source - patience - and test cuts with small corrective adjustments will help you get the blade setup right.

-mike

Hey Guys

I am using a Copam 4050, and the only problem I have had with setting the blade height so that only enough is sticking out to penetrate the vinyl is this; if you are cutting small letters and a small piece of vinyl happens to curl and stick to the bottom of the blade holder, it will then ride too high to cut the rest of the plot.  You won't know it until you weed it.

I have recently started letting more blade out, enough to cut all the way through the backing.  When I set the downforce on 70 grams with a brand new blade, I get perfect cuts in Oracal 651.  This leads me to ask, could something be wrong with the plotter's downforce?  After all, he is only using 50 grams. That is only 1.6 ounces.

If you're vinyl is tearing and sticking to your blade holder, you might want to slow down your cut.  In regards to the blade length, if you hav it sticking too far out, it will cut through the backing.  Normally a force of 100g is used as the default settings on most cutters.  The downforce often isn't what determines whethere it cuts through the backing, but rather the amount of the blade sticking out.  The downforce simply will determine the pressure needed to cut through the material you're cutting through.

I didn't say that the vinyl is tearing, but rather, sometimes when you are cutting tiny letters, the center of a letter may lift slightly.  It may be just enough to catch the bottom of the knife holder and stick to it.

In regards to having too much knife sticking out, what is the purpose of force settings, if not to regulate the depth of the knife cut?  If that's the case, why not just get the blade depth correct and set it on 500 grams for everything.

My point is this: I have been setting the blade to a reasonable depth so that it cuts through whatever I am cutting, be it 2 mil HP to 5 mil flo :)rescents.  On my Copam 4050, regulating the pressure works perfectly.  That's why there is a pressure setting in the first place.  My Copam manual suggests a blade setting of 60-70 grams downforce for most vinyls.  If I set the downforce to 50 grams, it will not cut through Oracal 651. If I set it at 70 grams, it does.  If the downforce on his machine makes no differance, something may be wrong with his cutter.

I'm not advocating sticking the blade out 1/16", but let's at least admit that there could be something wrong with the plotter's downforce mechanism.

The briteline vinyl I have been cutting lately will cut at 50-70  anything over 70 slices right through. I am having a very hard time fine tuning for fine detail. I think i just need to get a diff blade. I did notice something that i THINK I have a cure for. On this particular brand vinyl and a few others if i adjust my blade so that it physically cant cut through the material and set my downforce so that im cutting through vinyl and barely into backing...I notice I get shadows of the blade holder showing on the white vinyl. It wipes away but it leads me to believe that if you sent your blade holder off for a hard annodize or any annodic coating for that matter, it would be smooth as butter when it does make contact and should not lift details.

I dont know if im making any sense this morning. had too much coffee already lol.