Sign in to follow this  
RPM Graphics

Oracal Question

I regularly use 651 for vehicle lettering.  I have a customer who wants to add an 851 metallics or 352 chrome.  Can either of these types be layered with 651 or do you need to stay within each model line?  Does cast have to stay with cast and cal stay with cal or can I mix and match cast and cal in layers?

not sure but the elasticity of each is different.  not sure if you can get them on together without the cast stretching a little I would give it a try just for grins.  i know the 751 I put on my truck was a learning experience after using 651. looks great on but takes a lighter touch

When at all possible, avoid layering cast and calendered.  They shrink at different rates and this can cause some problems like delamination and wrinkling.

i would also recommend if you're doing vehicle lettering (well, company names and logos and such, not stickers that just say whatever, but things intended to stay around for a long time) to get into the habit of using cast (751/851/etc) instead of 651.  you'll be much better off in the long run.  around here 651 lasts about 3 to 4 years on vehicles, usually lot less on black cars. doesn't matter for things like little window stickers, but for business owners that get their vehicles lettered or semis and stuff, they will own the vehicle longer than the vinyl will look good.