gibri

HELP!!!

Frustrated newbie here I created an image in Inkscape and cannot get signcut to import it. I'm sure it is most likely something that I am doing wrong, but I can't figure it out. Here is a link to the original thread I started on Monday with a link to the image  http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,23269.0.html  If anyone can help it sure would be appreciated!!

Hello Dakota, in one of my many attempts I did. Placed it in a file in "my documents" and signcut would not open it, even tried to drag and drop it in signcut and that would make signcut shutdown. So this time I made the image in inkscape by pressing the star button and dragging cursor to make star and then went to EFFECTS button and scrolled down to EXPORT and click on SIGNCUT which was the only option there was. Went to signcut and it is no where to be found.  :D

I haven't used inkscape in a while the only other thing I can think of before the real experts get here is do you have the item selected when you export it?

sorry i can't be more help

Yea I just tried it again and it attempts to export into signcut and then a windows error message pops up and says that signcut.exe has stopped working click to close application. I can use the text box on signcut and send to cutter and it seems to work fine. I just can't get the file from inkscape to open in signcut.  :D

That error message you mention seems to pop up randomly.  I've never seen it appear consistently after restarting the computer or something like that.  At this point, don't EXPORT, your image, but instead go to Save As....  When you are doing this, make sure that you choose the file type you are saving to is EPS ( Encapsulated Post Script).  And make sure you remember where you saved it.  Once you have done this go to Sign Cut, and and click on File and choose OPEN.  Browse to the EPS file, and open it.  That should load just fine.  Could just be a problem with your plug in.

If you really really really want to use the Export plugin, you can try reinstalling the SignCut Export plug in, by going to Sign Cut, and going to the HELP menu and choose Reinstall SignCut Plugin.

And if that doesn't work, then uninstall both programs, and clear out the Inkscape and Signcut folders in Program files, and reinstall both Programs, installing Inkscape first.

Just gave it another go. I opened Inkscape and click on the spiral button, made a spiral and saved as eps file to a folder on my desktop. Opened signcut clicked on file browsed for file on desktop opened and click on spiral.eps and it opened it signcut. Then I did the exact same thing with the star graphic and got the error message again and signcut closed. So everything was exactly the same except I had a star instead of a spiral  :D

Hah, I'm sorry about that Gibri.  How many times does this occur?  I know that this happens to me once in a while, so, if your were to try this again by making another Star image, does this happen again consistently?  Also you might want to try a Diagnostic startup just to see if it's a software conflict.  You can do this by going to Run in your Start menu, and type in MSCONFIG.  Select diagnostic startup and restart.  This will only load essential programs upon startup.

Yes it does everytime I try to import the star image into signcut. That image should not be any different than importing the spiral image correct?

LOL, sometimes its just the file itself.  I didn't really do anything special.  It just seems to happen in no particular pattern.  The good news is the problem seems to be rare.

Yea but the bad news is I have it.  :'( I wonder why it doesn't do it with the spiral file. Maybe I will delete the program and redown load it and see what happens. Man I sure like the spell check on this forum I have always wondered why it was not available on the forums I frequent this is a first :D

Thanks again for all your help  :D It is most appreciated! And I went from newbie status to two stars on one post life is good  ;D