Sign in to follow this  
American And Proud

Another MOCK UP Sign

OK,

I wanted to play with Text in SBE and figure out how to keep the top of text straight and the bottom Arched.

Was easy enough once I started to play, so..

I typed the word HORIZON got it arched and did a google search for horizon to see what came up, a few businesses popped up so I looked at there websites and picked one and did this. (see pic)

Here is the website> www.horizoncafechgo.com

Question - If I cut this out and apply it to a 20x30 panel is it OK to use these MOCK UPS in my Portfolio?

Or not?

I am guessing it could get you in trouble with the company?

Or better to just make up some fake companies for Mock Ups?

I can see why some begginers would just grab pics from the web to fill a web page and have Something to show to try getting some work, but I don't want to do that when I can make up my own stuff until you get paying jobs to replace the Mock Ups.

Curious on your thoughts, you gotta have SOME things to show as your own work, but what to do up until you actually have them?

(THIS PIC IS JUST A MOCK UP I MAKE NO CLAIMS I DID ANY WORK AND WAS NEVER HIRED BY HORIZONS CAFE I JUST RANDOMLY FOUND THEIR WEBSITE AND DID THIS BASED ON SEEING THE WEBSITE ONLY. THIS IS ONLY A TEST MOCK UP.)

post-5921-12986546814556_thumb.jpg

post-5921-12986546825108_thumb.jpg

Good point Fire, Thanks.

That was how the line of text was on the website so I thought i'd include it.

Lookin at a website and creating a sign based on what you see or see the image they want to project is tricky without actually talking to the client.

Now what about my other Questions about using ?

Don't want no trouble and I sure don't want to resort to stealing others work to show as my own, until I get a bunch of my own to actually show, know what I mean?

The thing is, that's not others work. It's YOUR work, just their name and info. I would change the address and phone to a fake one. I'm sure there are a bunch of Horizon Cafes across the country so that's not a big deal.

I like what you have done there, I would adjust the kerning a little (too much space between each letter, needs tightened up) but otherwise i like it. Good idea to have some sample signs on hand to show customers what you can do. also helps to develope good logo design skills as well as layout. Good work! keep it up.

New Moon

The thing is, that's not others work. It's YOUR work, just their name and info. I would change the address and phone to a fake one. I'm sure there are a bunch of Horizon Cafes across the country so that's not a big deal.

I agree.  They certainly don't have "Horizon Cafe" copyrighted (it's not feasible), and you created an entirely different design for the logo/brand.  There is almost certainly dozens of "horizon cafes".

Hell, if I were you, I'd try to sell them your design, their current design could use some work.

Thanks everyone for the help and the kinds words about this one. ;D

I will change up the address and the hours so they are not the same as this cafe's, lol. Then cut weed and stick.

The Kerning (spacing between the font letters) is the stock way typed, I did not mess with it, can you elaborate on which lines of text you are refering too? Thanks.

I just bought 81 coroplast 18"x24" signs, 50 White, 25 Black, and 6 Yellow and a case of the "H" Step Stakes, I was not liking the foam boards as much as I had hoped (too soft easily dented while applying the vinyl, won't last long tossing in my van to show potential customers)for demo signs, these coroplast will be much better. :rolleyes:

My Oracal 44 Roll Vinyl Floor Rack got here yesterday and man is it SWEET! Thanks SIGNWarehouse.  :thumbsup:

I put it together and got it all loaded up.

I agree.  They certainly don't have "Horizon Cafe" copyrighted (it's not feasible), and you created an entirely different design for the logo/brand.  There is almost certainly dozens of "horizon cafes".

Hell, if I were you, I'd try to sell them your design, their current design could use some work.

Thanks Midwaste, I must be heading in the right direction with my practicing.  :thumbsup:

I wonder if anyone knows how to get the same effect with the word "Horizon" using Inkscape?

Thanks everyone for the help and the kinds words about this one. :huh:

I will change up the address and the hours so they are not the same as this cafe's, lol. Then cut weed and stick.

The Kerning (spacing between the font letters) is the stock way typed, I did not mess with it, can you elaborate on which lines of text you are refering too? Thanks.

I just bought 81 coroplast 18"x24" signs, 50 White, 25 Black, and 6 Yellow and a case of the "H" Step Stakes, I was not liking the foam boards as much as I had hoped (too soft easily dented while applying the vinyl, won't last long tossing in my van to show potential customers)for demo signs, these coroplast will be much better. :D

My Oracal 44 Roll Vinyl Floor Rack got here yesterday and man is it SWEET! Thanks SIGNWarehouse.  :D

I put it together and got it all loaded up.

"HORIZON" needs to be tightened up. but thats my opinion,

New Moon

Guest crshirts

A&P get Inkscape you will love it for converting jpgs to eps file

It does a better job than Illy most the time.

Sign looks great!!

Carl

i dont get it. their name is the horizon cafe, and their slogan is "go beyond the horizon" , ie. drive past here and eat somewhere else ?? :huh:

anyway, nice work, and im not seeing where horizon needs to be closer together, looks good lik that to me.

Thanks,

Unfortunately this sign was never cut as good ol signblazer decided it was time to Freeze up again and I was forced to forcefully shut down my computer and restart it and the file was lost.

Luckily it was only a practice piece. :huh: