Sign in to follow this  
NukleoN

Mailing and Postage Solutions

Hi there,

So my little micro-business is picking up a little as the word gets out in my particular niches, and I initially just went to the local UPS store to weigh and mail everything. Then, I got smart and bought mailing envelopes from the local Staples and now I am looking into bulk-mailing machines...the kind that weigh and spit out stamps for you. The only thing is, how does the stamp thing work...do you have to pre-pay it or is it connected to some account or both?

Anyone here have experience with those postage-printing machines and is it worth it? I think I wanna get one. I can already imagine that it would be nice to simply weigh and print postage...and then mail everything all at once.

I'm really curious to hear where to buy a good postage scale/postage machine (and recommended brands) from those who are happy with theirs.

open an account with USPS and print postage online. I have been in line at the post office behind people with those machines and from what I saw, you take the machine in, they can tell what you have printed,and you pay then.

I think this is what you want: http://www.stamps.com/welcome/

Best thing though is to just buy a digital scale (about $40 from office depot), print your postage from usps.com and schedule a pickup if you have a lot of items. No real need to pay for a service.

The only difference with the machines is the scale actually ties into the computer so you don't have to type it in. But since you have to type the send to info in anyway what's a few more key strokes??

Do what i do, I use the FREE Priority Mail envelopes at the USPS. You can get them online for FREE or at the store.

Shipping is $4.95 and get's anywhere in the USA in 2-3 business days. Shipping goes up from there if it's very heavy but for normal everyday orders it's almost always $4.95.

Saves a ton of time and money when you know a set rate.

Or, if you are receiving payment via paypal, create shipping label and pay for shipping through paypal and get small discount on shipping fees.  :)

These appear to be just postal scales, which would probably be useful considering that I can calculate shipping online. But, that would mean I'd still need stamps which are a fixed denomination....I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a machine which can print the postage right on the envelope, or at least save a trip to the postal-store where they charge a fee as well.

I might just do the PC postage route: http://www.stamps.com/welcome/

The Stamps.com thing is interesting. It's 16 bucks a month but you can actually print your own custom-picture stamps with your logo....kinda cool. Seems a lot to have to pay 16 bucks a month just to have the luxury of printing your own stamps, but the custom photo-stamp is added value which is kinda cool.

It looks like shipwire.com doesn't have a monthly fee. Now we're talking. 

yes, those are scales. Weigh it, print postage online. IT's saved me a lot of money and time over the years.

John how are you printing stamps online? Do you pay monthly for this?

years ago when I was a power seller on ebay I would use pitney bowles but that was before you could do ups, & usps on line, it could get expensive.  Now all I use is my printer and print the labels out, put it on the package walk into my po set the package on the side counter and I am done no lines.

check out the link

http://www.usps.com/onlinepostage/#H1

I do it all through USPS and PayPal. USPS calculates postage and fills in all the information except weight and size of the package. Free Delivery Confirmation is included. Postage prints out on 1/2 sheet lables and just drop them at the post office. You can schedule to have the Mail Man pick them up from your house or business too. As someone mentioned you get free supplies delivered to your door free from USPS too.

Jay

Stamps.com is a pretty sweet set-up. I used it for about a year. Very easy to use with just a regular inkjet or laser printer. I ended up canceling my subscription because it wasnt really paying off after a while with the whole $16 a month thing and buying the "Stamp paper" as well. Got a free 5lb postage scale, however. Use that sucker wuite a bit too and it's very accurate. If you have enough business that you can figure the $16.00 a month into then you won't be disappointed.

I use USPS, UPS directly and thru paypal - got 2 good postage scales - 1 palouze for heavy items and a Friden for smaller stuff