Sign in to follow this  
nhoffme

Help my vinyl won't stick to painted sign

I have been using my laserpoint for several months, and I have had very little problems. My issue is with the substrate, and I hope someone out there has more knowledge and can lead me in the right direction. Question: I am creating a sign for a client.  

1. 1. I have been using my laserpoint for several months, and I have had very little problems. My issue is with the substrate, and I hope someone out there has more knowledge and can lead me in the right direction. Question: I am creating a sign for a client.

• Substrate Issues
    • Vinyl won't stick

I have been using my laserpoint for several months, and I have had very little problems.  My issue is with the substrate, and I hope someone out there has more knowledge and can lead me in the right direction.

Question: I am creating a sign for a client.  He wanted the vinyl placed on painted wood and provided me with a painted blank done in an exterior gloss paint.  I cut the vinyl with no problems...however, I cannot for the life of me get it to stick to the blank.  What is with this?  Anyone have any suggestions?  I need to finish this tomorrow, and I have cut several pieces of vinyl, but no matter how I put it on, it won't stick.  Any responses or suggestions would be helpful. Maybe, I will just order an aluminum bland and start over...;D

I don't have much experience with painted substrates....but, did they use an oil based paint?  Maybe it won't stick to that. 

I think your solution to purchase an aluminum blank is wise.  Would probably last longer anyway. 

Even if you get the vinyl to stick tomorrow, it may not stay on for very long.  :-

clean the sign really good with rubbing alcohol and try that. i would suspect the fresh paint has a chemical film on it

What about applying a matte finishing spray on the wood? Not sure how it holds up outside, but you could test it.

Just a reply to all of you who helped me.  I used some matte finish spray..and guess what?  The vinyl stuck like a charm.

Thankyou  :)

I forget exactly but i know that vinyl won't stick to latex paint

At that point requested that you change the face of the sub straight too coroplast. It's a very cheap but long lasting fix. Coroplast 4x8 sheets should cost like $10 and are available in tons of colors.