Sign in to follow this  
SouthShoreDecal

MH-721 cutter head will not drop

I am having a problem with my MH-721.  The cutter head does not drop.  The machine will work for a few mins then i will have to turn off, unplug, and turn back on to get it to work for a few mins more. 

Once i align the vinyl and press the origin button the cutter head will drop, but some times it moves up and down a few times then will not drop at all.  I have it plugged into a 3prong well grounded outlet and the grounding cable attached to the stand.

please help,

Thank you,

::Dennis

Could be a static issue - but better put in a work request with USC so they can call to make sure

tech support can give you a simple test with a 9-volt battery to check the carriage. mine did that and turned out to be the motherboard.

Please remove the carriage casing and take a 9v battery and make contacts to the two metal strips on the top of the carriage simultaneously. If your carriage hopes then you know that the issue resides somewhere else in the circuit, probably the motherboard.

i had called tech support and it was determined that the mother board was bad and needed to be replaced...

I then noticed that the little stand off clips that are supposed to hold the mother board off of the metal bottom plate were missing/broken.  There was only one there.  i fabed up some of my own and the cutter works just fine.  it seems that due to those stand offs not being installed the board was shorting on the metal plate.  now it is fine, I have solved the problem. 

I would suggest that tech support adds a step to their diagnostic procedures and asks if those clips are there and or makes an appropriate change in the manufacturing of the product to better stand offs / quality control to make sure the stand offs are there.

i

I would suggest that tech support adds a step to their diagnostic procedures and asks if those clips are there and or makes an appropriate change in the manufacturing of the product to better stand offs / quality control to make sure the stand offs are there.

I agree..especially since that seems to be a very common problem.There have been plenty of posts on it.

Anyway, I am glad you got it running without spending any money or waiting for weeks.

I would like to do this 9v test because I think my mother board is corrupt/damaged. I don't mean to sound ignorant but what exactly is the "carriage casing"? Maybe a pic?

I have sent a message to support, also, asking if I can just buy a new unit without the $100 stand. I don't need another stand. I need to get this MH721 back in operation toot sweet. I have pending orders! I'd rather buy an $80 mother board than a $250 unit if I can.