Sign in to follow this  
katherine

RESOLVED BY TECH SUPPORT -USB accidently unplugged now cutter not working

If anyone has a thought on how to fix this.. I am really in a jam. I have a PCUT Creation CTN 630  vinyl cutter.

I was just going to do the exhibit title text for a new museum exhibit today. Before I got to my computer the Computer tech went to look at my DVD drive and accidently unplugged the usb cable to the sign machine. Now Sign Blazer Elements won't work. Two of my office mates and I sat here for 3 hours trying every port on SBE, and then tried moving the usb cable to another port on the computer and retried everything again. We tried downloading the SBE from this site, and that didn't work (I thought maybe a new software program it would try to recapture the port and give me a working set up). We tried installing SBE to another computer in the office and no luck either.

The only think I didn't do was reload the driver. I couldn't find it. I looked on the SBE software CD and there wasn't an excutable driver file.

We did all the typical stuff, went into set up, looked a Device Manager. I just can't figure what he possibly could have changed to mess it up.

He MAY have put it back into a different usb port, as there are 2 usb on the front, 4 on the back below the big parallel printer cable, and 2 addditional usb ones down by the monitor cable.

Last time it got unplugged, it took me days to finally configure fix it and by the time I got it working, I'd changed so much stuff, I didn't know what I did. When it works, it is great, though.

IF anyone has had a similar experience, and could offer some help it would be great. We have a great new Fiber Arts exhibit here in Sequim, but no title up on the wall due to this  snafu.

Thank you.

Katherine

Sounds like you tried most everything?  Only thing maybe you could try would be a system restore back to when it was working.  Its worth a shot

Remove all USB cables that are in no need.

Except kebaord and mouse if they use one.

Then look in the hardware manager of the OS if there are any USB devices assigend to a serial comport.

Then plug in the cable to the cutter (if you are indoubt take a new one)

Never use USB hubs!

See if the hardware manager shows up with a new serial port.

If it does, set the SBE cutter port to the same as the hardware manager.

This should do the trick to go back to basic and see what is happening.

You can also have a look in the instructional section for the new bie manual at the top

In the manual is a link to the FTDI USB driver.

Let us know the result.

Paco

I did have a similar situation;  had to hit the red stop button (for reasons not relevant) and could not get the machine to "reactivate"

Did shut down, restart, etc.

:thumbsup:  it just would not reset to cut, the cutter screen would just show squares.

Finally -- with the blade removed -- i just made a dummy cut = any random letter or graphic, send it to the cutter (from flexi jr =yuk) and just like that the cutter came back on line.

// flexi does have 4 separate cutting designations for the pcut, and nothing to indicate which is for this machine, I dont know if it actually makes a difference, but I have been using the second one.

HI and thank you for your comments/help

I tried taking all the usb off the computer, and went into the devise manager. It seems that COM4 is the one it assigned to the printer. SBE also recognized it as the COM4 USB serial port -so I thought great. But it still won't cut. I pushed the red button, and reset. Tried restarting the computer with the machine off then restarting with the machine on, and no luck.

In SBE the little lines are drawn around the text, and the stuff is being sent to the cutter. I am going to try an new cable. I am desperate.

I tried downloading a demo version of new software and it actually has PCUT CTN630 listed, but it didn't work.

I went outside and screamed loudly but that didn't make it work, and it scared the neighbor's horses.

Does anyone have any experience with poking around in the Registry? I though maybe deleting SBE there, and reinstalling it would work.

Does the cutter make a Registry entry I could remove.

Oh, I did find the XP driver and install it. Thank you for the advise on where to find it.

Any help would be great.

personally you have done so much with it.  I would totally uninstall and reinstall it..  Take it all out.   then do a search of the files and make sure nothing is there.   also a new cable would not hurt..  you could also do a system restore of your computer back to a date before you had problems,  that might help

NOTE: I had moved this to the support forum, but as I originally started the post here, I thought I would post the happy ending.

A volunteer unplugged my PUCT and I could not get it to work changing things for a week. BUT I got through to support and this resolved the issue.

Now, this is after you have made certain all the other settings are correct, in the "Set-Up" Menu (baud rate 9600 etc. and the "Direct" button selected not "Hardware Manager" under COMM SETTINGS). Also select the correct cutter, and make sure you have the right port setting, "Blazer COM3 -USB Serial Port" was mine though it depends on which computer usb port the cord is plugging into, so don't use this one, check your settings.

here is info on these elsewhere.

What Support walked me through:

Open SBE

Have a small job ready to cut

Unplug USB cable from cutter NOT computer

Turn off cutter by unplugging power cord

Wait at least 15 seconds though we waited more

Plug in power cord to machine

Turn on cutter power and wait until menu says ON LINE

Plug in USB cord to cutter

Send cutter job

This worked for me -although I had tried all of the above, I had not done it in this sequence. The sequence of unplugging and replugging  the cutter reset it to a clean slate, and it would accept the changes. Doing all these things without setting it to a clean slate did not work.

Thank you for all your help.

Katherine