Sign in to follow this  
achappy

paint mask, what application tape?

What application tape would work best with mactac paintmask?  Or any paint mask vinyl for that matter.  I may get oracal 810 or 813 if I like the way this works. its just the mactac is alot cheaper and im kinda low on capitol right now. 

The reason I am asking is I am in need of some paint mask for a customer project, I cut he applies and paints.  I also airbrush but as of now all my work has been freehand or with freehand stencils, there is a project that I want to do that having paint mask would help a ton.

Any app tape but clear from my experiences

+1

The clear ruined my 6' stencil of a dandelion, after about 2 hours of weeding not to mention several days of work and preparation....

Any app tape but clear from my experiences

+1

The clear ruined my 6' stencil of a dandelion, after about 2 hours of weeding not to mention several days of work and preparation....

That would suck.   

I am cutting a graphic that a friend of mine is going to put on his Carbon Fiber hood then he is going to paint the

entire hood the body color.  then peal the mask and clear.  the hood he got has some messed up weave on one side of the hood.  so we came up with this solution.  the vendor refunded his money and told him to keep the hood.

is there a 'clear' application tape that works well?  I have heard so many bad stories about it.

Clear is fine for smaller decals that you sell for self application. It makes it easier for the customer to see the image and sells better that way. Clear works on 'Good' vinyl most of the time. Most problems I have had and heard about were from people using Cheap inferior vinyl. The trick is to make sure you tell your customers to squeegee the clear down right before they try to apply it. This help a lot. I show mine a demo using a small graphic I cut about a hundred of. I whip it out on the table and show them the oracal pull off and the hinge method of applying a graphic. If they are a repeat customer or bought several decals or have in the past, i throw them a Squeegee.

Kevin

I had another thought on the drive home, does anyone know if mactac paint mask is ok to use with solvent paints?  Since automotive paint is solvent based, I don't want to have an issue with the mask and the paint.  thanks. achappy

talked to a person at HH sign supply and was told the mactac MACmask is not designed for automotive paint.  I ordered some R-Tape ProGrade paint mask from earl mich they were very helpful in answering my questions.  Also the prograde is designed for automotive paint.

I just stick with brands alot of people use. I use Avery or Oracal products only since i know there's good support on them on or off the forums

Mactac to me is a off brand IMO