Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Remus

3 layer decal quick question

I am making 150 decals for a band..the decals are three colors & I have to ship them out of state in a few days...I will be using clear app tape...These will be sold at there concert this weekend, so I have very little room for error...Is there anything special I need to know about layering decals back on the backing paper & removing the app tape used to transfer the layers?? Or can I just leave the clear app tape on the vinyl that i am layering & when finished just put clear app tape over everything when finished..any suggestion will be greatly appreciated..

Whenever we've had a layer order like that, the bottom layer, would be kept on it's original backing...layer dry the next two and the app tape on your top layer stays, so they can be applied when they are ready to be used.

Hope that makes sense.

Jen...thanks that was how I was thinking...

but one question - the second layer, when I apply it dry - do I leave that app tape on also??

Guest sciondrgn

Like Jen said leaving the bottom layer with it's backing as the final bottom layer but start with your top layer then apply the second, at this point you still have your top clear in tact then apply it to the 3rd layer and its backing, Trim and its ready to apply

That's a great video that is posted here.

No you would remove the app tape from the second layer...the only app tape you will have on when you are done is the top/final one.

I have a question, if you have 3 to 4 layers on top of each other(layered), then using clear transfer/application tape, when applying the sticker dry will it create bubbles?

i have tried that before, layering 3 color vinyl using clear transfer tape & got lots of bubbles. unless you leave a gap in between colors(so that no vinyl is on top of the other)but i think it depends on the design :)

i hope someone can understand and answer my question :)

Guest sciondrgn

I have a question, if you have 3 to 4 layers on top of each other(layered), then using clear transfer/application tape, when applying the sticker dry will it create bubbles?

It all depends on how you lay it.. The way he laid down each layer I prob would have used the hinge he created and squeegeed it down versus laying it down by hand like he did then running the squeegee over it.

I use Perfect Tear by Main Tape and have not had a problem with layering.

thanks for your answer, another question let's say you layered everything up perfectly(without bubbles) using clear application tape/paper tape, the question is how would you advise the buyers on how to stick it? wet or dry?

Guest sciondrgn

thanks for your answer, another question let's say you layered everything up perfectly(without bubbles) using clear application tape/paper tape, the question is how would you advise the buyers on how to stick it? wet or dry?

I have a little document that I print and give out with take away orders that shows them several ways to apply and goes over the different types..

Clear Tape - Dry install (Small Decals, Apply and Squegee, Large Decals Hinge and squeegee)

Paper Tape - Dry (same as above) and Wet (I give them the basic fluid ingredients and instructions for small batches to make at home and do themselves)

I go into more detail but just to give you an idea

Just remember for future quotes, save yourself time and don't offer that many decals with multi-color vinyl.

I'd be tearing my hair out lol

well it's finished & on the way to be sold at a concert this Sat....It was a pain to do all of them I did them in 2 days of production time...cutting...weeding...layering...WITHOUT reg marks...just using a light table & my eyes...No more multi-color decals in that large of quanity, I think I will keep the max to around 25 or so for now on...

Guest fivestar

well it's finished & on the way to be sold at a concert this Sat....It was a pain to do all of them I did them in 2 days of production time...cutting...weeding...layering...WITHOUT reg marks...just using a light table & my eyes...No more multi-color decals in that large of quanity, I think I will keep the max to around 25 or so for now on...

Remember you could of had them printed out.  :thumbsup: