Do you pick up a newspaper?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pick up a newspaper?

• Yes, I have it delivered
    • I pick one up frequently
    • NO
    • Read it online only
    • Get Sundays only for the ads!

With rumors always going around about many newspapers going to online only, I have to wonder, how many still enjoy reading the newspaper, instead of online?

Thanks

Not dead in my house. Not a good idea to take the laptop into the bathroom.

Guest kenya

Dead here.... only read it online.

I get my friend's newpapers to line the parrots cage. ;D

Dead here.... only read it online.

I get my friend's newpapers to line the parrots cage. ;D

I spend enough time online doing work...my eyes are going bad because of it. A real paper makes a nice change,and saves the eyes.

lol Kenya, well that's one way of recycling the paper I guess!!  ;D

I agree with John, I already spend enough time online and don't want to strain my eyes anymore then I have to.  I enjoy sitting on my couch with a cup of coffee enjoying the paper.....and if the coffee sets in, I can still take the paper with me!  ;D

The only papers I read online are papers I can't get locally, but get the local paper daily.

yeah, and some columnists (mainly the conservative ones) are a sure way to get my bowels to move in the morning.

when newspapers die (print versions) you will soon see the online versions go away too. You have to have advertising revenue to pay the people to create content. No content means no website.

At one time we had 3 papers int his town. One bought out another one and closed it down, and we were down to 2. Eventually they bought the 3rd. And paper went from 15-20 pages of good local info, to 3-4 pages of crap. Then last month they went from a 6 day paper to twice a week. Tues and Sunday.

Companies like this that are big Corporate buy hounds are the reason the local papers are disappearing. They jack their advertising rates to the moon, and then wonder why no small businesses will put any ads in their papers. I can advertise in the Omaha World herald for an entire month cheaper than our local paper for one week.

Oh and I still read the paper, but we get it at work, and I have first dibs. LOL

Kevin

I'd rather think of them as evolving. Our local paper in a community of less than 80,000 has made many changes as have others recently in an attempt to reduce operating costs. In my entrenched opinion, few of the changes have benefited me as a subscriber. My hope is they will not find a way to delete the Sunday edition with all those shiny ad inserts, as I like shiny...where was I?

I don't read the paper other than online. But, I do subscribe to it for my kids - they invarably have some current event project they have to do, so we stockpile the print paper for them to butcher.

Charlie

We live in such a small town that we only get the paper once a week. They tried twice a week but didnt have enough news to keep it going. I'm like Jenny, I love the portability of the paper! But because we only get it once a week, my bathroom has alot of various reading material in it! Got to have something to read...lol.

lol...definitely need something to read!  ;D

I agree the more larger companies buy out the smaller ones (they say it's to SAVE money to print, etc which supposedly saves the customers money) it ruins it for SO many.

I agree advertising rates are through the roof!  ;D

A lot of what support the papers is the classified ads. With Criagslist nobody puts ads in the paper anymore. I know in our paper the only classified ads left are for pets and cars for sale by dealers. Individuals don't place classifieds anymore. The new office manager in my wifes office worked for the local paper for 30 years and said he would be suprised if they were in print for two more years. They just can't make money.

Jay

when TV came along in the late 40's...everyone said it would kill movies,and radio.

Don't believe everything you hear.

i print it off the computer on vinyl, weed it, then read it

LOL...you go through alot of work for your daily news, huh?  ;D

edge,

I think in your size community you would have more than enough circulation to support at least a couple papers.

Where it is killing people is in small communities like ours, of 5-6000. The big conglomerate newspaper companies, are combing complete regions into one small paper, instead of having a true local paper, you have 10 towns ensconced into one. What the results are that, little jimmies little league game wasn't important enough to make the page, so we loose a big part of history as well. It used to be a big deal for a kid to get in the paper. Especially if it didn't involve the law. Moms, grandparents and even family would clip the stuff out and post it on the fridge in a place of honor.

ever tried to get a decent quality copy of an online news[Paper] article or photograph, without printing the entire page, and not having to pay for it. I feel it's ridiculous to lose such a great part of history for an entire up and coming generation, because or corporate cuts.

[Rant complete]

kevin

If the newspaper dies, I think it will be pure LAZINESS that kills it. People today,especially young people, are too used to getting sound bites and abbreviated versions of news on the computer,instead of the whole picture of what's going on in the world. Not interested in spending an hour or so reading a paper from front to back. The most important stuff isn't always in the headlines or on page 1` of a Google search.

And you know what? When they are 40 and CAN"T read a newspaper because  their eyes have been ruined by the computer monitor...they might wish they had spent a bit more time in the real world instead of the cyber world.

I never knew anyone who was really intelligent who didn't read the daily paper..but I know a LOT of dummies who don't.

when TV came along in the late 40's...everyone said it would kill movies,and radio.

Don't believe everything you hear.

John is Right.......

But in time things do change......some good and some not so good........

Glad GOD is always the same .....always there......Bless ya All!

Only three days left to vote!

I wanted to thank all of you who took the time to vote!  I find this quite interesting.

NEWSPAPERS also make great window washing gear.  BannerJohn, shame on you!  ..pulling a blanket statement like that over our eyes..

You only are reading what THEY want you to read.  Shifty_Eyes_Emoticon_by_Canaan1.gif

and how is this different from only HEARING or SEEING what they want you to  on TV or on the Internet?

I used to buy just the sunday paper here to get the tv quide for the week. When circulation dropped they came up with the brilliant plan to break up the guide for each day. now you have to buy it daily if you want a printed tv guide