Sign in to follow this  
vianyl

Best Solution for wet application

I have some work I need to apply that's around 4' long and need to wet apply to make sure I have my alignments right and so forth I'm new to work this big. Anyone have any help on experience with what's out there or home made if so what works best and application process? Any help or links would be greatly appreciated!

Some of the best around is  Rapid Tac.  you can find it on EBAY,   others use homemade recipies.. of dish soap/water ... dishsoap/water/alcohol....  there are so many of those recipies our there,, not sure what is a good one on that..  I think if you do a search of application fluids on this forum, you would come up with some ideas.  I found this thread on the forum

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,2720.0.html

Guest round2racing

I have been using the following:

5 parts water

1 part alcohol (rubbing)

4 drops dish detergent

Guest round2racing

Fire,

That amount of alcohol doesn't hurt the adhesive?

If not, I surely need to increase my alcohol content, as I would like for the solution to dry a little quicker.

rubbing alcohol will not harm the adhesive, Denatured alcohol will. So be careful which you use.

Have a whif (or two) of Rapid Tac 2 sometime. You can smell the alcohol very well.

Just for clarity, rubbing alcohol is the Isopropyl stuff as opposed to Ethanol?

correct

I'm having a problem getting the vinyl to want to stick to the glass and not come off with the application tape. Any hints? I used 4 parts water 1 part alcohol and 4 drops. Did I make it too wet and now need to let it dry some? I wet down the glass, the back of the sticker, applied then wet the application tape.  :thumbsup:

3 words...squeegee,squugee,and squeegee. YOu can't do it too much.Allow it to dry for a bit before you pull the tape...and on glass (as well as coroplast) I never use high tac tape...medium only.

That might be the problem. I already squeegied the bajesus out of it. Is the regular scotch type application high tac?

I had that  problem before and I found if you spray the aplication tape ,once applied to your surface ,it will soak through and help release easier.

I have some work I need to apply that's around 4' long and need to wet apply to make sure I have my alignments right and so forth I'm new to work this big. Anyone have any help on experience with what's out there or home made if so what works best and application process? Any help or links would be greatly appreciated!

I just wanted to make sure you know about the " hinge " method of applying .You tape the decal before any app fluid & you can get it aligned exact . :thumbsup:

That might be the problem. I already squeegied the bajesus out of it. Is the regular scotch type application high tac?

If you mean clear tape,that is your problem. You need paper tape for wet applications.

I just wanted to make sure you know about the " hinge " method of applying .You tape the decal before any app fluid & you can get it aligned exact . :thumbsup:

I still do this however since I'm still quite new to the application of big stickers I'm doing wet for now. I just did 2 truck stickers yesterday that were 8"x7' long that I wouldn't even want to think about doing dry for quite some time.

If you mean clear tape,that is your problem. You need paper tape for wet applications.

I tried "paper" tape. it's the same as regular masking tape you get from the store just much wider, correct? Is there anything that's less "tacky" for doing big stickers on glass or am I not letting it sit long enough? I thought maybe I had too much alki in my mixture but after diluting it more I still had the same problem. Should I let it sit for a couple hours and then wet the masking tape before trying to use it? Maybe hit it with a heat gun?

I meant using the hinge method & wet application . I use pencil marks on the vehicle for alignment & tape the decal on . If the decal can be cut into sections I hinge each piece . When I get ready  , I spray the application area & apply the decal . I only dry apply small decals . Many times I don't use much app fluid, but there is no better friend than app fluid IMO .

I meant using the hinge method & wet application . I use pencil marks on the vehicle for alignment & tape the decal on . If the decal can be cut into sections I hinge each piece . When I get ready  , I spray the application area & apply the decal . I only dry apply small decals . Many times I don't use much app fluid, but there is no better friend than app fluid IMO .

I agree :thumbsup: I use a little bit of Rapid Tac 90% of time when putting decals on and i don't get any air bubbles..

Guest sciondrgn

I still do this however since I'm still quite new to the application of big stickers I'm doing wet for now. I just did 2 truck stickers yesterday that were 8"x7' long that I wouldn't even want to think about doing dry for quite some time.

I tried "paper" tape. it's the same as regular masking tape you get from the store just much wider, correct? Is there anything that's less "tacky" for doing big stickers on glass or am I not letting it sit long enough? I thought maybe I had too much alki in my mixture but after diluting it more I still had the same problem. Should I let it sit for a couple hours and then wet the masking tape before trying to use it? Maybe hit it with a heat gun?

Masking tape has a much higher tac and the adhesive I believe is slightly different than application tape. For Wet installs I recommend using a medium tac application tape, 

I have never used anything but medium tack app paper . Everybody told me medium & that is what I went with .... seems like a HAPPY medium  :thumbsup: .  I have 2 rolls that are over 2 years old & still usable . I can tell some difference , but still worth using .

Masking tape has a much higher tac and the adhesive I believe is slightly different than application tape. For Wet installs I recommend using a medium tac application tape, 

Example or supplier of said tape? Thanks for all the help guys I'll post some pictures of what my results are shortly.

hi all, i have been having a similar problem trying to install a piece of vinyl 40cm x 80cm well 3 of them actually, but it just went wrong right from the start, i was using med tack clear app tape, and i just could not get it cleanly on the vinyl it was just sticking to everything before i could get it near, and the static from it was unreal, i only passed it over the vinyl with a space of about 6 inches and the static sucked the vinyl  straight to app tape, i know i need to get some paper app tape but any tips on using the clear as in the near future i need to do some large 2-3 colour vinyls and i really need to use the clear so i can see the reg marks

cheers

Pitkin,

One thing you might try to do since the static is attracting your vinyl off the table when you move it over is take a piece of scotch tape and tape down the edeges of your backing paperl.

Another trick that might help with the static is a anti-static wrist band that computer repair people use. it will ground you and might help pull the static from the tape and you so that it will not causes as many problems.

Guest sciondrgn

Example or supplier of said tape? Thanks for all the help guys I'll post some pictures of what my results are shortly.

Main Tape Perfect Tear Medium or High if you like  https://www.signwarehouse.com/c-AT-MANT-PTPM.html

I also use Endura Perfect Tear, Its a high tac but still works pretty good on wet installs  http://www.signwarehouse.com/shop/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=A-EMB-PT

USCutter also sells, Rtape here..  I think I have more Endura Perfect Tear than I do Main tape but That medium tac helps more for wet installs