Sign in to follow this  
Guest round2racing

Looking at a shop

Guest round2racing

Well, I might take the plunge.

I am looking at a shop that is for rent, get this, three doors down from my house.

It was a little bake shop and they decided to close their doors after 15 years.

It's not real big, but big enough to try it out to see if I go anywhere.

I live on a main street in my town, so the location is PERFECT.

I'm just a little scared of venturing out like this.  Never did this before.

You gotta take a chance if you want to grow. Worst case...you lose some money.  I'd go for a deal like that. Walking to work alone will save you money.

Guest round2racing

John, I have a full time job, but I am teaching everything to my daughter.  She would be there during the day and I would be there in the afternoons.

God, I want to do this and I want to make a full effort at making it work.

I'm just scared.  I don't want the disappointment of not making it.

AND, this is not exactly the right economic time to try to start a business.  If I wait for the economy, I will have to have someone bring me from the nursing home to open the shop.......

Besides, if the economy were to take a big upswing, I would be paying twice the rent he's asking.

OK!!!!

I AM GOING TO DO THIS.

I AM GOING TO PUT ALL MY EFFORT INTO THIS.

Hopefully, I'll be okay enough to be there full time and leave the construction business.

actually, I've been reading articles saying that this was a GOOD time to start a business...and in your case, if you appeal to other businesses looking for cheap advertising, you could do very well. There's no cheaper way to advertise than a sign or banner.

But the most important thing is that you do WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. If I had waited til the right time to start my business, I would never have started it. I just took the plunge.

"There are no sadder words said by men,than the words what might have been".

If you are only three doors down on the same street from this location, what's to stop you from launching the venture from your house? If there is demand for your product at your local, I subscribe to a theory the storefront alone isn't gonna make the difference between success and failure, however the added expense of supporting a storefront could.

I run a fulltime EBAY business right from my home,, and have for 3 years... and  it supports me better than any outside job, I have ever had, and I worked in a good paying job at a factory for 29 years.  IT MOVED to Mexico, so here I am,  I didn't have the choice to venture out. My OLD job made me!!!  And I am doing very well.  Don't know what market (niche') your going for, but EBAY is the biggest marketplace in the world for ANYTHING, and I truly love not having any set hours, and I have my orders shipped everyday, and lots of repeat customers.

I run a fulltime EBAY business right from my home,, and have for 3 years... and  it supports me better than any outside job, I have ever had, and I worked in a good paying job at a factory for 29 years.  IT MOVED to Mexico, so here I am,  I didn't have the choice to venture out. My OLD job made me!!!  And I am doing very well.   Don't know what market (niche') your going for, but EBAY is the biggest marketplace in the world for ANYTHING, and I truly love not having any set hours, and I have my orders shipped everyday, and lots of repeat customers.

Same for me...3 years full time Ebay.

Guest round2racing

I am currently doing this at home, but I simply don't have enough room to operate efficiently.

It makes everything harder.

I am making larger graphics and need the room.

I have orders for 4 different racing trailers and I don't have the room here to accomodate them for the installs.

This place has open space and a great lot around the back.

Right now, I operate in my office in my house that is 10 x 10.

When you add in a computer desk, cutting stand, 4x6 table and two bookshelves, I am seriously out of room.

Now, I just got the contract with the construction company that I work with to decal the new fleet of Ford F-350 trucks (about 12) and the F-650's (about 4).

That decal job is coming up on October 1st.

I would like to have the shop by then, so I can do the install there.

Go for it. I have had my own shop for 3 years now.. Don't get me wrong there will be some rough times but if you work hard at it you will make it.

Guest kenya

Do it, Do it, Do it.  :)

You can always move back home. You will never know what will happen if you don't DO IT.

Good Luck !!  :)

Sounds like you are pulling enough business to make it work!

Additional shop space will open up more opportunities as well (digital, heatpress shirts/etc, wraps).

I considered doing the same thing a few months ago and turned it down, because I have a 6mo old and am damn lucky to still have my well-paying job in this economy.  I almost regret not getting laid off, but, hey, there's still time!  :-

A friend recently opened a sign shop storefront and said it has made an insane difference in his business.  A storefront definitely lends an air of professionality to new customers, and makes it easier for existing customers to refer.

If you haven't already done it, go talk to an accountant ASAP.  They will explain lots.

How much is the rent and how much are you pulling in each month roughly? I'd look at those 2 factors and go from there  ;D

Looking at your signature, you have 1 piece of equipment. If it was me, I would keep working out of the house until you can add some more equipment so your better suited to handle more work. Having 1 china cutter isn't a good idea, if it breaks down in the middle of a job with a back log then what are you going to do?

I think you will need 2 complete computer setups running their own machines. The nice thing about this is that you can have one running and work on the other. And if one has down time, you are still in business.

Just my $0.02...

Guest round2racing

Rob,

I have every intention of buying another cutter, that's for sure.

In fact, I went yesterday and bought a desktop computer as a dedicated computer/server.

I figure if I have two cutters and get going, I should be able to start purchasing other stuff, like a heat press.

I am working on a lease of a printer from Fellers, also.

I have turned down SIX jobs for wraps in the past two months.  I had to refer them somewhere else.

Rob,

I have every intention of buying another cutter, that's for sure.

In fact, I went yesterday and bought a desktop computer as a dedicated computer/server.

I figure if I have two cutters and get going, I should be able to start purchasing other stuff, like a heat press.

I am working on a lease of a printer from Fellers, also.

I have turned down SIX jobs for wraps in the past two months.  I had to refer them somewhere else.

I suggest your second cutter should be 36" or larger.

Guest round2racing

I'm shooting for a BIG GUY, but we'll see.

By the way John, like the new pic of the pup!!