Sign in to follow this  
ff958

Different kinda help needed on bid.

One of my bosses was talking with me about a new truck they are getting and says he wants to change their design because they are tired of the old one, even gave me prints of the new truck so I could make the design to scale. I do the design work show it to them and we tweak it to their liking. Later that afternoon they ask if I can print them a picture because they already told the guy that normally does their stuff they were getting a new truck and want use my design. I told them no if they were using someone else they could let them do their own design work. So now they are telling me I can bid on it and still want a printed pic of the truck. My problem is I have a feeling they just want my design and my bid does not really matter. I guess I am just looking for some suggestions. i thought about not bidding, bidding and just putting on the bid per agreed upon drawing or something to that effect. What do you all think.  :-

I did th main design work on my time at home, the tweaking was done at work in front of the boss so he could see the changes. The changes were minor, move this here change this color, little stuff like that.

I would tell him up front that you worked very hard designing the job and that it is fine if he wants to have someone else do the work but you want to get paid for your time that you put into the designing of the job.

I would quote them a fair price - not lowball - and plan on doing the very best installation I possibly could - they may be extra picky if they feel your forced them to use you.  I would print the design in a bitmap format low resolution so it can be seen but will require the other guy to do the design work himself or pay you for the vector image.  Document your time for the boss and quote the price you expect if they take the design to the other guy to make.  All of this is assuming the bosses are reasonable people - rare at times.  I have one friend who is a notary public and he lost a job because his cheap a$$ boss wanted him to notarize all their paperwork for free and save the $10 a copy he was paying for notary work.  Some bosses think because you work for them by the hour they own your output even from offduty work or special extra services.  Hope your boss isn't of that mindset.  If he is - I wouldn't lose my job over it, but if they don't pay you I would start looking for another job and "move away from there" like the song told Jed Clampett to do.

-Mike

I am glad that I am not the only one that felt I should not have to donate my design just because I work there. I also made it clear to them that I did not feel I should automatically get the job because I already work for them, but since they came to me for a design I should at least have to opportunity to bid on it.  With my profession I don't have to worry about my job.

Guest kenya

I would watermark a low res pic..You did the work and deserve fair compensation for it..

+1

Put a copyright notice on it when you print it out and put on there that if the artwork would like to be purchased to please contact (you) the designer. If they steal it from you, sue them!

Put a copyright notice on it when you print it out and put on there that if the artwork would like to be purchased to please contact (you) the designer. If they steal it from you, sue them!

I had thought about putting on the pic that this design is the property of  3 Alarm Graphics and cannot be used without written permission. Just didn't know if that was enough to keep them from using it.

I do like the idea of a watermark and low res. print. I had not thought of that.